🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what it is. Any ID is appreciated....Thx, BWD
IMG_0382.JPGIMG_0383.JPGIMG_0384.JPG
Oh yea, the center is loose, like separate from the rest....I thought maybe from an oil lamp, but was told otherwise.

Upvote 0
The obvious difference that it isn't a thermstate is that it would have a passageway for coolant to flow. I know that little cylinder button looking thing looks similar to one on a themstate in the cooling system of an internal combustion engine, that button holds temperature sensitive wax that control the opening of the thermstate.

See at this link:
Thermostat - How Car Cooling Systems Work

IMG_20150512_005830.jpg

Upvote 0
Just my 1 cents worth..what about one of those hand buzzer toys?

Upvote 0
The obvious difference that it isn't a thermstate is that it would have a passageway for coolant to flow. I know that little cylinder button looking thing looks similar to one on a themstate in the cooling system of an internal combustion engine, that button holds temperature sensitive wax that control the opening of the thermstate.

See at this link:
Thermostat - How Car Cooling Systems Work

View attachment 1160050

Yea I guess there is no way for the water to flow but I wouldnt be surprised if a rusted spring is inside of it.. I was just jumping on the bandwagon. Can I jump off? :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is the actuator or closing piece of a T stat. Someone dissected this.

Upvote 0
It looks pretty small for a thermostat part. Only about 1 1/2 inches...

Pretty sure it is not a lantern part either.

I'm thinking it is the front part of a cabinet knob or drawer pull.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It may not be a thermostat but it does kinda resemble one

thermo5.jpg

thermostat studebaker.JPG

Attachments

• thermostat ford.jpg
    thermostat ford.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
radiators auto repair tampa by guys automotive

This could also be the seal surface for an old radiator cap? It is one or the other.

Upvote 0
Did the AT pro find that?..lol

Actually...no!
It was found by the owner of a potential permission, he is stringing me along, bragging that he has already detected his property with an "expensive detector"...

And after he showed it to me, I told him that if I could ID it in the next week, he has got to let me get my beep on...

Upvote 0
fluid does not have to flow through an automotive thermostat.it simply has to contact it with heat causing contraction and the unit itself sealing an opening(cold)or retracting form the opening(hot)

this is my understanding.I'm still with thermostat or prank hand buzzer(love that one)

Upvote 0
fluid does not have to flow through an automotive thermostat.it simply has to contact it with heat causing contraction and the unit itself sealing an opening(cold)or retracting form the opening(hot)

this is my understanding.I'm still with thermostat or prank hand buzzer(love that one)

Water flows right through the center on any one that I ever replaced but Im only a backyard automotive mechanic and I suppose thats
possible in some engines but they all have a spring I think. Can we open it up to see whats inside?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back