Found this really old fork today!*?

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
I (actually my Bounty Hunter 505) found this fork while out hunting today, it is from the R. Wallace Co. from Connecticut that was founded in 1835, It is made of German Silver which is Silver-Plated Nickel! It has a great deal of wear and tear on it! Trying to find age of fork, so far narrowed it down from 1835 to 1891! :o The A1 after the makers mark is the plating process used on it! It's really hard to find the age because of the variant pattern, it's either Wallace 2 or Rogers Variant 2 pattern, if anybody has any idea of the age of this fork, post a reply please? :icon_scratch: :help:

Attachments

• DSC02778.JPG
    DSC02778.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,304
  • DSC02780.JPG
    DSC02780.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0
I'd be MAD at my metal detector for going treasure hunting without me.... ??? :laughing7:

Nice fork, :o :icon_thumleft: I have no idea how to date it. :dontknow:

keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

Thanks MUD(SWAT)! :icon_sunny: The machine pretty much goes without me, I think it's better that way! :laughing7:

Thanks for the link auprospector44! :icon_thumleft: That pattern is very close but may not be identical, very hard to tell! :icon_scratch: I think it is a 2nd reproduction of this pattern, slightly different from original! Maybe variant pattern from Wallace Two or Rogers Two and not the Portland 1891 pattern, Any ideas of what year and pattern?? :help: :icon_sunny:

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I'd be MAD at my metal detector for going treasure hunting without me.... ??? :laughing7:

:laughing7:

i have to buy my se drinks at the end of the day, or it goes wandering by itself at night, and won't tell me what it's found.

nice fork. hope you can get some more info on it.

Thanks Dwayne, maybe you need to pull the battery on your SE :laughing7:...LOL!!

Breezie may be able to tell you the age.......NGE

Thanks for the referral NGE! I sent Breezie a message, hopefully she gets it!

I think that is NOT the date of manufacture, but the date a pattern was initiated.......NGE

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Well first you would start like this:

Hello Fork My name is MUD, I like you.
Want to go for coffee and cake sometime? :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Cool old fork

I am pretty sure that the date of 1835 as seen on back of fork is the founding year the company R. Wallace was established, and not the date of manufacture! ;D Any idea on age? :help:

nice old fork :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

For what it's worth.........
"1835 R Wallace - Robert Wallace was a silversmith born in 1815. By 1835, his business was actively in operation making spoons. His company evolved over the years into Wallace Silversmiths. The "1835 R Wallace" pieces were not made in 1835 and the patterns did not originate in 1835. The date and name are just product names developed much later by the company evidently to honor its founding or founder. (Or to cause confusion!)
I have verified that one Wallace pattern with this designation on the back was , in fact, created in 1907.
A1 - this simply refers to the thickness of the silver applied to the surface of the piece."

Don.........
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...R.+Wallace+and+Sons"&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Mackaydon said:
For what it's worth.........
"1835 R Wallace - Robert Wallace was a silversmith born in 1815. By 1835, his business was actively in operation making spoons. His company evolved over the years into Wallace Silversmiths. The "1835 R Wallace" pieces were not made in 1835 and the patterns did not originate in 1835. The date and name are just product names developed much later by the company evidently to honor its founding or founder. (Or to cause confusion!)
I have verified that one Wallace pattern with this designation on the back was , in fact, created in 1907.
A1 - this simply refers to the thickness of the silver applied to the surface of the piece."

Don.........
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...R.+Wallace+and+Sons"&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks for the link and info Mackaydon! :icon_sunny: Do you know anything about Wallace Two or Rogers Two (Variant Patterns) of 1847 & 1891 years? :help: I am really leaning towards these two dates! Definitely not a 1907 pattern, fork would be in better condition! :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back