šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Found this old lithograph having trouble id-ing it the most I got was that I think itā€™s a German church Tia

Stacyphi

Jun 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4D994371-43BF-40A8-B071-248F4775E364.jpeg

Can you make out any of the pencil inscriptions?

Can't help much there.

Looking at the two words in the centre, the first of those two words appears to begin with ā€˜Oā€™ and the last letter could only be ā€˜yā€™ or ā€˜gā€™. The penultimate letter has a dot above it, so I would assume itā€™s ā€˜iā€™, which would mean the last letter is most likely 'g'. It couldnā€™t be a German Christian name with that combination and, since thereā€™s a full stop after it, I would think itā€™s an abbreviationā€¦ possibly ā€˜Orig.ā€™ for ā€˜Originellā€™ (meaning ā€˜originalā€™).

The second of those words looks to begin with ā€˜Rā€™ and end ā€˜lā€™ with three letters in between. My guess is that it might say ā€˜Reralā€™ (meaning ā€˜realā€™). So the two words together might then be an indication that this is an original work, as opposed to a copy of an earlier engraving or a mass-produced print, although that would be an unconventional way of saying so.

The other words I canā€™t make out, but the general style of the handwriting suggests it's not very old. I would think certainly post-war and probably rather more recent than that.

Upvote 1
Looks like it has taken more than a bit of inspiration from an etching by the German artist Hans Klemke (b.1892-d.1960). Yours at the top and Klemkeā€™s below:

Klemke.jpg

The architectural detailing has a lighter touch on yours, also with differences in the foreground figures and the sky but the aspect and perspective for the buildings look to be identical. Obviously, if you sat in exactly the same place to make your sketch youā€™d get the same view, but it looks to be too good a match for that kind of coincidence.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back