Found this in the creek along with some pottery shards

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was raking the creek in a new spot today and found a dark pottery shard, first time for a dark one, and raked this up. When I picked it up that small part broke off and some black or dark green "stuff" was on my fingers. I'm thinking it might have gotten soft in the water and why it rubbed off like that. But it's got little fine looking white hair things on one side and the other side is lighter in color. I tried to get a decent pic of it but might have to repost some pics tomorrow when I can take them in the daylight and it's dried out. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_6821.JPG
    100_6821.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 289
Looks like a plain piece of dirt to me. Maybe there could be something in it? maybe a coin?

Upvote 0
I'm hoping there's not some sorta critter in it ;-) But seriously thinking it's not dirt...thought it was clay at first since the color was rubbing off when it was wet...looked like black chalk. Thinking I will sit it in the garage overnight in case it has a not welcome surprise in it and hoping it's not some kind of body part from long ago or worse yet recent.

Upvote 0
It may well be a burnt piece of animal hide..would explain your description.

Upvote 0
Looks to me like poop from an animal that ate another little hairy animal.

Upvote 0
yuk! well as I was raking under a bank it dropped down into the water and was the second dark thing I saw because the first was the shard...I thought is was a bigger shard and when I picked it up it broke. Whatever it is it's old and kinda smells like oil. Thanks everyone for helping me figure it out. Those white hairs gross me out lolol

Upvote 0
Well I really hope it's something cool

Upvote 0
Posting a picture of what the broken insides looks like my help with trying to ID it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back