Found this in my front yard...some kind of minie ball?

Simplicity

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello out there! I was detecting in my front yard last night and found this...it is obviously lead as it's quite heavy. I realize it is not pointed like most pictures depict minie balls to be, but I am curious about it nonetheless. Anyone have any thoughts on what this is? Thanks!

photo.JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPG

Upvote 0
It is too wide for a 12-guage shotgun...maybe it's from a 10-guage...

A dime is roughly .7 of an inch which is right for a 12 gauge (.729 of an inch) 10 gauge is .775 of an inch. Keep in mind your slug has been fired and looks to have hit something so it won't match the original measurement anymore.

I found one of those in my front yard a couple of months ago, and I thought it was a shotgun slug too.

slug 2.jpgslug 1.jpg

it would have 2 b a rifled slug barrel

Thank you...I suppose this was a case of wishful thinking...I see the things other people find, and I can never find anything old! The last really cool thing I found was an 1856 large cent in Somerset County, and that was @8 years ago. I will keep on hunting.

Thank you...I suppose this was a case of wishful thinking...I see the things other people find, and I can never find anything old! The last really cool thing I found was an 1856 large cent in Somerset County, and that was @8 years ago. I will keep on hunting.

I know how you feel. I took about a 30 year break from hunting and when I started back this year, my detector was older than anything I was finding. :)

The key to finding is to be where you have a fair chance of walking over something good. How, you ask? Well, the key is research. The time you spend figuring out a spot that is old yet not hit too hard does pay off. Just need to put in the time.

Keep at it!

HH!

It is all in the research. You have to know here you are hunting and what you are hunting for. Like Ken said, keep at it, stuff is there. You increase the odds the more you research and the more ground you cover.

HH
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back