Found this gold-colored thingy - thoughts?

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife walks in the living room and hands me this gold-colored thingy. She says I should stop washing my finds in the sink b/c apparently it's been spending the last few days dancing around in the sink garbage disposal. It rings up 75 on the AT Pro, and weighs 3.8g. I don't remember finding it, but who knows the way I nonchalantly treat most of my 'trash' finds. It's non-ferrous, and the deep cuts and gouges from the disposal reveal deep lustre. Toasted tells me it's not gold b/c it looks corroded, but regardless if whether it's gold or not i'd like to know what it is...

quarter for reference

IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4633.JPG IMG_4635.JPG

If it didn't have all the corrosion on it, it looks like gold. Maybe a brass piece?

Upvote 0
It looks like it could likely be the missing breast plate top cap (see photo below) from King Phillip IV of France.

I believe it was priceless, although it probably could have fetched over 50 million, in undamaged condition, quite easily.

It was rattling around your disposal you say?

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 8.34.29 PM.png

Upvote 0
It looks like the bottom of an old automotive lightbulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Looks like it was out on the highway for a while. I found a 14k gold earring in a motel parking lot that had that same crunched runned over a few times appearance. I believe it was a gold plated something once. Label pin or brooch :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would suggest using a sink without a garbage disposal for cleaning your finds - Garbage disposal units are expensive and a pain to replace. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back