Found this at a Yardsale for $20 Good value?

Patriot474

Aug 22, 2010
Found this and thought it was Civil War era, it might be older or it might be something at least dating to the 19th century.

Their was 3 of them there in the lot, but this one was the only one with the buckles on it.

I just dont know what it is rather then its from the US Calvary.

pict0004fp.jpg

pict0005oi.jpg

pict0006fx.jpg
]

It's worth at least $20 ...but whether it's worth much more than that depends on its time-period. Please post close-up photos showing the backside of the US rosettes. Their form and the method-of-attachment will tell us their time-period.

That being said... the frontside of the US rosettes looks 1880s-to-early-1900s. Seeing their back will produce a more narrow time-period estimate.

Upvote 0
here is a couple more pics, I didnt take the buckles off in fear of destroying the leather, they were in pretty tight.

pict0008rvr.jpg

pict0010bj.jpg

Upvote 0
The new photos show the rosette's backside well enough. No need to remove the rosette. The iron back and bar indicate manufacture sometime in the latter part of the 1800s. We do not dig that version of US rosette from civil war sites. Somebody who is more familiar than I am with US horsegear from "post-civil-war" time periods could probably narrow down the date-range even further.

Upvote 0
I would have happily paid the 20 bucks for that. Cool find.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Upvote 0
question I have though is what is it?

Does this connect to a saddle? or goes around a horses head for the bridle?

Upvote 0
Patriot474 said:
Found this on ebay in accordance with the rosettes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-CIVIL-WAR-...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa947c8ff

Which states it being Civil War era, but then their is another auction listed some where stating its WWI Calvary.

Was these produced between a time period like 1850-1918 or something? I would think no huh?
ALOT of sellers on Ebay think that if they advertise their stuff as being "Civil War" vintage they can get more money for it. That does not make it true. My favorite was a guy one time who was selling modern lead .38 wadcutter bullets complete with ZERO patina and claiming they were Civil War pistol bullets that were in pefect condition due to being stored in a trunk for 150 years. Very good score though for 20 bucks regardless of the fact that your item never saw the Civil War.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
NHBandit said:
Patriot474 said:
Found this on ebay in accordance with the rosettes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-CIVIL-WAR-...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa947c8ff

Which states it being Civil War era, but then their is another auction listed some where stating its WWI Calvary.

Was these produced between a time period like 1850-1918 or something? I would think no huh?
ALOT of sellers on Ebay think that if they advertise their stuff as being "Civil War" vintage they can get more money for it. That does not make it true. My favorite was a guy one time who was selling modern lead .38 wadcutter bullets complete with ZERO patina and claiming they were Civil War pistol bullets that were in pefect condition due to being stored in a trunk for 150 years. Very good score though for 20 bucks regardless of the fact that your item never saw the Civil War.

So its most definately WWI?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Found some harness in the neighbors farm dump once as a kid. It was a set of blinders with a US Rosette on one. This Rosette was attached with 2 tabs on the sides driven through the lea.ther. What period wouldthis be?

Upvote 0
Patriot 474 wrote:
> So its most definately WWI?

It depends. A lot of leftover Spanish-American war era (1890s) US gear got used in World War One. I think the version of US-marked rosette which has only integral tabs for attachment to the leather is later than the type with an iron back and crossbar. I'll check with a friend who is a Military Horsegear expert.

Upvote 0
Like much of WW2 gear, lot's were reissued in the Korean War. I would say that the horse tack used in the Span Am War and in between were used in WW1. After 1918 the cavalry still trained with horses but when called upon for WW2 the horses became obsolete and they had to quickly train to battle on the ground. Leather items in tact like yours are quite rare and makes it a very nice collectable and value will only go up. Treat the leather but don't clean it. Store it in a dry place. The $20.00 investment didn't hurt you at all. Bil

Upvote 0
I believe WW I or Spanish American War is right on. When I was little my grandfather was still cutting his hay with a team of horses, Topsey and Turbey. And I remember them wearing harnasses with U.S. printed Rosetts on them. Years later I remember seeing them again all covered in dust and cobwebs hanging in his barn. My father said that my grandpa, who fought in the trenches of France, bought them war surplus for his farm.

Upvote 0
To all readers of this discussion:
When doing research for the time-period of an object, please do not rely on what is said by sellers on Ebay about the time-period of their items. Approximately half of the Ebay sellers have very little or no idea of what they're talking about. A particular example: If an item is made of metal and old-looking, by golly it is from the civil war.

In particular, you'll see many modernday Reproductions of Confederate (and US) belt buckles, made for battle re-enactors, being sold on Ebay as "original civil war period" items. Also, ball-bearings and Mining Industry rock-crusher balls being sold as "a genuine civil war cannonball."

Relevant to the US rosette being discussed here, Patriot474 mentioned that there's some on Ebay being sold as civil war era -- but others of the exact same rosette being sold as World War One era.

Unless an Ebay seller is a well-known major dealer of items from a particular era of history, please don't rely on the time-period claims by Ebay sellers.

Upvote 0
Buying on ebay is like being at an auction except you cannot hold the item. The plus side is if you buy from a seller that has a return policy you can return it unlike the auctions. The tip is to not bid unless you know or research the item that you are bidding on. In the early internet years you could get advice from a dealer on an item you are interested in but today most dealers will not help you. You can find good deals on ebay but you need to know what you are doing and research or require a return policy minus the shipping. If you do not use this advice be ready to take a beating once in a while. Bil

Upvote 0
Is their a definitive name for this piece other than Bridle?

I been trying to research a piece like this with hardly any success with the exception of finding this;

http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_saddles-tack_f.shtml

Which looks similar to the design of the Military Style Jenifer Saddle or the spanish style above it. This is based off the 2 sides of this thing that sorta is shaped like a gun holder that hangs down on both sides of the saddle connecting to the piece you put your feet into.

The only problem is the pics on that website the part looks bigger than what this one is and seems smaller as if it would go on a donkey more than a horse.

Does this piece fit over a saddle?

Next problem, one part of the belt with the buckle on it fell off, repair options? whats the best way to treat this leather? would soaking in arm and all work?

Upvote 0
Not part of a saddle, but rather part of the bridle called the headstall .. complete with the blinders.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
Not part of a saddle, but rather part of the bridle called the headstall .. complete with the blinders.

I have to agree its a head stall with blinders. Looks just like the ones I use on my horses, except this is way older ofcourse.
Nice find. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back