Found this along a river in Ohio. Im thinking Indian made but really no idea.

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this along a river in Ohio. I'm thinking Indian made but really no idea.

It is sandstone and seems hand carved. No idea what it would be. ???
009.JPG008.JPG006.JPG007.JPG005.JPG :dontknow:

That's a neat piece! It does look like it was drilled with a cane. Maybe some dimensions and a closeup of the "hole" would be helpful.

Upvote 0
It's a pebble in the hole. Dimensions are approx. 1 1/2 inches across and 3/4 inch thick. I'll work on a close up.

Upvote 0
That could be part of a Bow Drill, which was use to insert the top shaft of a stick in order to hold it in place to start a fire or drill a hole to make the bowl of a pipe to smoke tobacco or drill holes in wood or bone. Back in the early Fifty's my Father was hunting for mushrooms in the hills of Southwestern Pennsylvania and he found a similar stone and a Piece Pipe nearby it that was made out of a white soap stone, The outer part of the pipe was carved to resemble a tree stump and it had the face of an Indian chief wearing a feather head dress carved in the front of the pipe. In the 1990's the Pennsylvania Turnpike built a new exchange down the hill where my Father and Brother found the items and the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh did and excavation in a field near the creek and uncovered a whole village along with fire pits arrow heads and tools and pottery. They theorize that the soapstone which is not native to Pennsylvania and is located in New Hampshire which is hundreds of miles away was traded to the local tribe by other passing through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back