Found these coins yesterday I think the two larger ones are too corroded to identify, the other little I found about 8 inches from these two

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000007160.jpg

Attachments

• 20240730_110448.jpg
    20240730_110448.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 16
Very nice !
If they were mine I'd try "Andre Pencils" first - then Electrolysis.
Good luck with the ID's - keep us posted !

I suspect there is enough detail beneath the corrosion to be able to ID them. Various possibilities for treatment have been suggested to you. I agree that if they were mine, I would start with more mechanical cleaning and resort to chemical treatment if that did not work. Each step is irreversible but the coins are worthless until they are identified anyway. Once you know what they are, they might reveal something about history and it is just good to know what they are and especially the dates. They'll not be worth money, of course.

Already did that.
A little not well known trick I use for nuggets, coins or whatever is to get a coffee mug and 1/3 fill with water, put it in the microwave oven for around 4 minutes. The water will be nuclear hot and looks like its fizzing!
Stand back and drop the coin or whatever into it. I say stand back because when the cold item hits that water it goes crazy. You'd be surprised what can come off of some items when you do it. Sometimes it really can shift some stuff that a brush can't, some things its so solid not much happens. But it is my go to for lots of items that are dirty and I don't want to use chemicals or abrasives.

Thanks for the boiling water and flashlight tips, vinegar isn't doing anything to the reddish, hard crust on clad coins from my local playground.

I'm more fascinated by the smaller item. 🤓
It seems to have at least some detail, so hopefully a better chance of identifying it.

FWIW, what detail there is looks like maybe feathers/wings(?)

IDT it's American (unless it's a token I'm unfamiliar with), BICBW.

The small piece looks like play money, aluminum from the 1940 -50’s. The 2 large coppers I would do the hot peroxide method. Heat up 1/2 cup peroxide to almost boiling, drop in coins, remove and vigorously toothbrush or scotch brite pad until enough of the corrosion comes off. Then rinse in water and a light coating of nose grease.

The small piece looks like play money, aluminum from the 1940 -50’s. The 2 large coppers I would do the hot peroxide method. Heat up 1/2 cup peroxide to almost boiling, drop in coins, remove and vigorously toothbrush or scotch brite pad until enough of the corrosion comes off. Then rinse in water and a light coating of nose grease.
When I get back today I will have the time to start cleaning them. As for the little one I thought play money at first, but it rings right at 81 on my AT Pro, the same as the trime and the 2 x 1/2 reals I have, found, plus the signal does not waiver at all just like the other small silver coins I have found. Give me a few days to try some of the methods that have been suggested, and I let everyone know.

The one is definitely play money...i knew it looked familiar when you first posted it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The one is definitely play money...i knew it looked familiar when you first posted it.

I cleaned them both up with super hot water trick someone had suggested. One of the big ones was far too gone after that. The other one you can almost manage out a shield like a New Jersey Copper, but who knows for certain. As for the little coin you are spot on as far as it being play money. You can clearly see "one" and then the flip side "money". I have screwed up so many coppers by trying to get the corrosion off, I am a little gun shy cleaning really anything too much. But thank you, and all the others who have given me advice on these coins and the ones I have had questions about in the past!!!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The way I look at it with bad coppers is that I cannot ID them in their bad condition so they are totally worthless. If I try a strong cleaning method, the worst that can happen is that they remain worthless. For me, over half the time, I get an ID and a date range. Then I have some useful data for my historical interest. I've used lemon juice for some and fine sandpaper on a flat surface for others. But those are just my simple methods. Other methods, such as suggested here, may give better results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back