Found some .22 LR ammo today - its been awhile.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Found some .22 LR ammo today - it's been awhile.

Been trying casually to buy some .22 ammo since before Christmas. Been checking periodically at the local Walmarts, Academy Sports, Bass Pros, etc, and supply in my area has been non-existent.

Was walking through Academy earlier today, and low and behold, spotted a stack of boxes near the checkout. Was limited to two boxes and took them.

Have other parts of the country experienced a similar protracted shortage?

Was this dumb luck on my part, or is the shortage coming to an end?

In Michigan a local shop has received a dozen bricks over a period of weeks.Most but not all have customers who have been waiting ,leaving a few boxes out for walk in customers just this week.
Of note however, as with other places who are receiving some popular ammo,they are getting back ordered stuff thats been a long time coming.Current orders not getting filled right away.
Demand will in my opinion be the biggest factor in a return to more stock available.
While I leave 22 rnds at shop for sale, telling owner when he gets a decent amount unspoken for i,ll take a brick, alot of people are willing to buy what they can as soon as its possible.

I was in the Chi-Wallie World (hate going there) two days ago and there was no 22's or 38's or 45's- heck, there was no pistol or rifle ammo- only 20ga. dove loads. The shelves were empty- been expecting a shipment for weeks now- NADT. Two other fellows came in to see if their "ammo order's" had come in- clerks response "not yet, maybe next week". They were not real happy with the clerks' news but what can you do?

22LR is scarce here in southern Indiana (Blmtn, and Bedford). Three or four shops get it in about once a week in small quantities, but sells out almost immediately. No doubt in my mind the clerks set it back for themselves, friends and family. 223 ammo is plentiful here now, at least in the gun shops. I went to Ocala Florida bout a month ago and .22LR was everywhere I went, so I loaded up; mostly on CCI stingers. :tongue3:

Nothing here in Phoenix. I was in St Louis recently, and the bait shop had everything you can think of. I picked up a brick of 22. I am good for a few years again.

Same here in the waste land we call Maine. Cannot find it anywhere...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone have an idea as to when the shortage will end? I would have thought that manufacturers would have caught up with demand by now.

Try Lucky gun runner,shipping is a little steep though.
22 LR are a little pricey, but there in stock.

38,357,.45 seem to be inline with what others are charging.

Last edited:
Why does everyone want .22 anymore. It's not really a good all purpose round. I'm not talking guys here just in general. I don't understand the craze for it. Heck I have 200 rounds of hornet that's 160. Or so kills with an allotment for misses. Do they really need 10,000 rounds of .22 shells.

Why does everyone want .22 anymore. It's not really a good all purpose round. I'm not talking guys here just in general. I don't understand the craze for it. Heck I have 200 rounds of hornet that's 160. Or so kills with an allotment for misses. Do they really need 10,000 rounds of .22 shells.

20 years ago it was a penny a round.

Cheap for target shooting, good for hunting in survival conditions and can still stop attacker if shot in specific places...

22 is the choice of professional hitmen because it is quiet and easier to ditch. The statement about "people can't be killed from a far distance with a .22" is misleading. Hit them right and they are DEAD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

May not NEED 10,000 rounds but nothing wrong with having that many if one wishes to have it...

Check July orAugust Guns and Ammo. They explain the shortage and I tend to believe them rather than some political rag...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back