Found on Colonial site , is it a tool ?

dignit

Oct 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this tool (it's solid brass) with huge Dandy buttons and an 1802 large cent & 1747 colonial coin , no moving parts on the tool. Any help on what it is ?

finds 006-001.JPGfinds 003-001.JPGfinds 004-001.JPG

I'll bump it up to the top,maybe someone who knows will see it.Nice buttons..

Upvote 0
Do the threads look like they are hand filed. There were no machine threads in colonial times, all screws and bolts were hand filed one at a time.

Upvote 0
Was it found anywhere near a ship building site? It resembles a reamer but it brass wouldn't be for metal work.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a tool, rather a part to some mechanical device. They did have taps and dies then for screw making but there were no standardized sizes.

Upvote 0
Brass is usually used for parts that come in contact with water, so my guess would be some sort of water pump part. I doubt if it's really old, though. The threads look to be machine made to me.

Upvote 0
It was found in a field near a well traveled river (the Susquehanna)

Upvote 0
Welcome to Treasurenet dignit.hope you get an ID on the tool soon.

Upvote 0
It looks like the shaft that goes through an old hand grinder, sometimes called burr mills.(the grinding plates are metal with burrs on both.) This would be for a small mill, like a kitchen mounted coffee, small corn mill grinder. Not a feed grinder. The handle would go on the threaded end, the "T" would go into the rotating bur and the setting would be on the end. Around mid 1800's. I have several mills and they are all different, but close. Just my thoughts. Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back