Found on Civil War Camp/Battleground. What is it?

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I hunt a residence here in town that was a Civil War campsite and skirmish site. This place has been absolutely vacuumed for years and usually only produces an occasional rusty nail most of the time and it the ground is perfect, sometimes a surprise.

I have been concentrating on the outside of the fence, where it is very trashy and hard to hunt. I pulled this up from about 10 inches and thought perhaps one of you Civil War experts could id it for me. It may be nothing, but I had a feeling it could be something good. It is the piece at the top of the photo. I don't think the chain is too old and know the military round isn't.

The back side of the piece looks identical to the front, except for an intentional split in the metal that follows the line of the cracks on the front. I will try to post another pic or two. What do you all think this might be??

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 835
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 830
Upvote 0
Have you been in my scrap pile? I found one nearly exactly like that last year. I didn't know what it was and still don't so I just added to my pile of objects I am unsure about.

prospector40 said:
The bottom looks like a blank round for an M-16. Any military bases or national guard/reserve centers around?

warsawdaddy said:
Maybe part of a lantern/lamp?

treasurehound said:
Have you been in my scrap pile? I found one nearly exactly like that last year. I didn't know what it was and still don't so I just added to my pile of objects I am unsure about.

Treasurehound~ Can you post a pic of yours on here too? Maybe there is more detail on yours.

warsawdaddy~ I was leaning toward that....buy not sure what part it might be.

prospector40~ There is nothing close that I know of. I have actually found them close to an armory in our town, but this one was strange as to why it was here. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back