Found old coin, pls identify!

dboughner8

Jul 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to identify a very old coin. We found it 20 yrs ago in Connecticut along the banks of the Thames River. I've only learned that the area is very well known as Indian grounds and a lot of whaling took place there in New London. I've also learned these coins could have been what Indians would trade for goods...? Local tribes are Mashantucket Pequots, and Mohegans.
About the coin: about 2-inch diameter, imprint on one side only, not magnetic, dark brass, bronze, or copper in color although we do not know the metal type. The imprint is a large tribal designed eagle or falcon with one eye, head looking right, arrow on breast pointing upward but it's inside another arrow that's pointing downward. Other smaller imprints around perimeter are crossed arrows, a man, pine tree, stick figure animal, wagon wheel, bear claw, and a few others that are covered by patina? These imprints listed are just my guesses, but I hope I'm doing well enough giving a description Please tell me more if you can, we've been curious and anxious to learn its value possibly. Now that we are in a technological age my resources are much greater. Thanks for your time!!

Attachments

• image-70809993.jpg
    image-70809993.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 208
I would venture to say that it is some type of Native American Indian pendant! It may have some significance to an individual tribe from that area. You might contact Native American Indian Tribal Associations in the area for help on identifying the piece.

Frank

Ok thanks so far :) I'm sure I won't call it a coin anymore... Just really trying to describe it and wondering if it has any value in current years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back