Found near slave quarters in SE La plantation

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
My
Family found this among other handmade
Copper basic items. However I'm blown away at this piece .. I'll post better pics with length and what not tomorrow but here's the pics I've already taken.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247612.461355.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247628.795219.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247643.746258.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247656.913987.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247671.131935.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247693.952927.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247727.586874.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427247741.704523.jpg

Absolutely beautiful piece of colonial hand wrought brass/copper - looks like it might be kitchen tongs for roasting. Congratulations on your find !!

Upvote 0
This is one of the only complete pieces , all the other pieces are made from solid copper and it's all toasted, however this piece is def hand made.. The copper colored discs are actually early 1800s coins.. They look to be English Caribbean island copper coins.. This was found on the grounds of Ormond plantation in destrahan la.. Right along the Mississippi ...

Upvote 0
The snake motif is interesting - is there writing under the head of the snake? I can't tell from the photo but looks like some kind of symbols there?

Attachments

• item.jpg
    item.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0
I thought so to, if it is, it's not a writing I've seen before. Or it could just be extra detail. Late over here now .. Will definitely get much better picture tomorrow...

Upvote 0
Looks like this coin.
Victoria British India quarter (copper)

IndiaQuarter.jpg

Upvote 0
Silly but is it took cook in a Tandoor oven they call them Rats or something similar i may be wrong but......

RR

Upvote 0
Tongs for catching snakes (poisonous snakes in India)? Why the ring that slides down to lock the tongs tight? Very nice find!

Upvote 0
Tongs for catching snakes (poisonous snakes in India)? Why the ring that slides down to lock the tongs tight? Very nice find!

I also think they are snake tongs. But I can't find any pictures of 19th Century tongs. The only book references I found referred to wooden tongs.

This is one of the coolest relics I've seen on here in a while. Excellent find! If we can prove the ID, I would vote banner.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Just my opinion but I don't buy the snake tong idea. Just wouldn't be a good design. If it was anywhere especially India there are loads of long poisonous snakes and you would want to have one good aiming eye to get that on the proper spot of the snake the first try. Also you wouldn't want to slid that ring down any where near that snake let alone trust the ring to hold it. Better chance of it being a ember tong I think. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong. Also if it was made originally in India it would surprise me to be so decorative! [emoji2]

Upvote 0
For me kitchen tool doesn't rust .......in Japan they have special knife for ceremony so why not a decorated tweezer also all my Indian chef friends are in vacation so you will need to be patient

may the Rasmalai sweet

RR

Upvote 0
I like the ember tong idea. That would explain the length and the slide lock. We have trades with India for as long as we have history in this country. I could have come here or been brought here by anyone. (we are the melting pot?) I also think it is Indian.

Cheers all

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back