found near old civil war encampment here in town

D

detector77

Hi all, detector77 here, it was a pretty good day AGAIN!!! found the usual assortment of wheats, 5 total, some clad just for jingle, and this AMAZING find, I believe this is a civil war era medal, found at a encampment here in town which is now a park, or was established as a park in the mid 1800's the medal states on top "We Did " with the crossed swords on the left, and crossed cannons on the right, since I am in Illinois This must be associated with the Union army of that period, enjoy and comments please.

Attachments

• resize.JPG
    resize.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 407
  • resize2.JPG
    resize2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0
EXCELLENT FIND, 77 ;

CONGRATS !

Jeff

Attachments

• expl-sov2.jpg
    expl-sov2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 328
  • expl-sov2.jpg
    expl-sov2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 332
I printed out a copy of the find, which is really unique. Good job! The faces are fairly clear. I have a "coffee table book" on the Civil War (massively huge) at my storage house. Will pick it up this weekend and see if I can put some names to the faces. That might determine what "We Did." ??? Photographs were rather rare in those days, and when they got a good shot they used it over and over on money, statues, news articles, etc. Some of them look vaguely familiar, but I'm terrible with names. Shot in the dark, but I'll try. Sounds fun. -Noodle

Picture on bottom looks like Joshua Chamberlain , a union officer that became famous at Gettysburg. From Maine, I believe.
pickaback

Excellent piece!

HH

Lonewolfe

Could be.... Head is shaped a little flatter, looks like. Could the one on the left be Robert E. Lee ??? Strong resemblance. The one on the left and the top one look almost identical. I'll keep searching. Good site you sent me to. Thanks! -Noodle

The distinctive, full mustache makes me think its Chamberlain. I initially thought the top one was U.S. Grant, but cannot be sure. With so many CW generals sporting facial hair, it is hard to tell.
p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back