found my first merc!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i went to a neighborhood park this morning not really expecting to find anything older than clad. when i was very young i grew up in this neighborhood and there was a small park that really was only used on the fourth of July for a neighborhood picnic. i thought i might find some clad and that would be it. here is what i came up with........

1942 MERCURY DIME
1947 WHEAT CENT
1949 WHEAT CENT
1951 WHEAT CENT
2- CLAD QUARTERS
3- CLAD DIMES
1-JEFFERSON NICKLE
1- MEMORIAL CENT
and an old toy car that looks to be from the early 60s. maybe the batmobile (its in bad condition). i left when people started to wake up and venture outside. this is a fairly upscale neighborhood and i didn't want to risk having someone complain about me digging in their park. ill just go back early another morning to avoid any problems. i dont want to lose the opportunity to look some more now that i know there is some older stuff there.it doesn't seem as if it has been hit before. maybe i have finally stumbled across a good spot! anyway,it was a good hunt this morning!! ;D

Upvote 0
Congrats ! Looks like you found a good hunt site for the future.

Huntin' 59er

Good spot!!Nice finds!! HH

thanks guys! it sure made my day! the spot where i found it was a pretty obvious place to look. next to the ballfield backstop. thats why i think that maybe no one else has detected there before. i cant wait to get out there again.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOUND A HOT SPOT.WAY 2 KEEP IT LOW KEYED SO NO ONE STARTS COMPLAINING HEY AN CONGRATS ON THAT MERC.
BUD

Congrats on the silver and good luck next trip! HH, Mike

thanks for the heads up tommy, but it looks like this one is the run of the mill variety.

i dont think i will get the boot sparklystuff. its hard to explain........i didnt have any problems with anyone,in fact i waved to a lady walking her dog and she just waved back. it just "felt like it was time to go". intuition i guess. but yes a return trip is in order for sure!

I've felt that feeling before in a better neighborhood.

More often, I get that feeling when I see the first drug dealer of the day in the park ;D

Good deal, and good luck the next time out!

HH

Lonewolfe

WTG, on the merc. and nice hunting site you found!! What is the square footage of the park?

Keep @ it and HH!

Attachments

• silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 184
  • silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 170
its a relativly small park mud. i would estimate it at about 250 yards by 150 yards. i went over the outfield of the ballfield and found nothing. the infield is where the coins began coming out.then i checked the area where as a kid i remember there being games and food and stuff on the 4th of july. found two wheats at that spot.this neigborhood was built just after world war 2 so the park must have been much more popular with the first residents than it was when i lived there in the late 60s early 70s. i would never had guessed there would be as many coins from the 40s there as there seems to be........ im in a band and have a gig tonight and will be up real late, but i might just go out there tommorrow morning on two hours sleep to try it again! im pretty stoked about finding a decent spot! today i went over a lot of area really fast. next time im gonna pick a smaller area and slow WAY down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back