✅ SOLVED Found in River while Gold mining / what is it?

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• Back side.jpg
    Back side.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 434
I wonder if it could be Eclogite aka the "christmas tree rock" has prominent red and green crystals? HH
BK

Attachments

• eclogite.jpg
    eclogite.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see that stone cut and polished. What Bk says sound good to me. Very cool find.

Upvote 0
It looks to have fishing line in it ?If so is it a solid rock or could it be magnetic and all the stuff attached is a type of conglomeration.

Upvote 0
It looks to have fishing line in it ?If so is it a solid rock or could it be magnetic and all the stuff attached is a type of conglomeration.

Sorry but it is not fishing line it,s a long blond hair :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Is it your camera or rinse it, is it silver in color? Take a pic when it's dry please.
More importantly did you find any color's in your search?? HH
BK

Upvote 0
Is it your camera or rinse it, is it silver in color? Take a pic when it's dry please.
More importantly did you find any color's in your search?? HH
BK

Actually the rock is pitch black , its the way the light shines on it .And yes i did find gold too. And its not pyrite i know that much. What is puzzling me is that there are so many different colors crystals in it . we do have garnet here but its usually red.
I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow in natural sunlight. just got out of work and its 12.30 Am in the morning.

Upvote 0
Actually the rock is pitch black , its the way the light shines on it .And yes i did find gold too. And its not pyrite i know that much. What is puzzling me is that there are so many different colors crystals in it . we do have garnet here but its usually red.
I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow in natural sunlight. just got out of work and its 12.30 Am in the morning.
I don't doubt you found gold. I have found it on the north side of the seven sisters. HH
BK

Upvote 0
Ok guys new pictures from today . The rock is dry and in natural sunlight. I rested the camera on a support so it didn,t shake. Even the black part is sparkly so it looks wet i guess.
024.jpg022.jpg023.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg

Upvote 0
wow over 40 views and still no definate answer , must be rare lol

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Gold Trail 1.jpg
    Gold Trail 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • Gold Trail 2.jpg
    Gold Trail 2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Gold Trail 3.jpg
    Gold Trail 3.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
Trying to figure it out by looking for what it isn't doesn't help much, although it is not sedimentary,nor is it metamorphic, but igneous is still in the running, but what igneous rock it is I can't find yet.

Upvote 0
It is just garnets fused together by pressure IMO. As i search for gold I find that they can run in thick streaks that are evidently classified by water, too light to be associated with gold like black sand is. Gold is where you find it, and where others have already found it too.

Upvote 0
I've no idea what that is, but it looks cool. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe you can take it to a professional and get their opinion. Heck, a jeweler may even be able to tell you if those stones are gems or not. Just a few thoughts. Best of luck!

Upvote 0
Thank You all for your ideas, I just realized that the College i work at has a Geology department, so i'm trying to get a hold of the Professor here that hopefully has all the answers. I'll let you guys know what he has to say.

Upvote 0
Would be an awesome specimen on a shelf slabbed and polished.

Upvote 0
very cool. scroll down to the geological forums and post in the Rocks/gems - you'll get more responses there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back