Found in low river bed

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DATE: Sept 2012
DETECTOR: no applicable
PLACE: river bed that was very low.
FIND: a carved riverstone that has words, that I can't figure what they mean, and a groove around the stone.
DETAILS: I was hunting below an old town from the 1880's along the riverbed. The river was really low and I could actually walk out onto the river rocks. There used to an old town along the river and railway that had a general store, glass factory, smithy, homes, tannery, and other buildings. This is about 100 yards where I dug up the Civil War US Cavalry belt buckle (someone brought home from the war, as there was no action in this area). I noticed the stone as I was walking by and saw the carvings....

Looks like a cornerstone? Freemasons? The 'PA' would fit 'Pennsylvania' which is where I am (western, PA) and it's from.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• stone 1.jpg
    stone 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 246
  • stone 2.jpg
    stone 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 227
  • stone river bed.jpg
    stone river bed.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 1
Very interesting find. Might be a grave stone or marker at one time????

What is that in the lower left beside the stone? Looks like it has eyes and is staring at me.

Viddy said:
DATE: Sept 2012
DETECTOR: no applicable
PLACE: river bed that was very low.
FIND: a carved riverstone that has words, that I can't figure what they mean, and a groove around the stone.
DETAILS: I was hunting below an old town from the 1880's along the riverbed. The river was really low and I could actually walk out onto the river rocks. There used to an old town along the river and railway that had a general store, glass factory, smithy, homes, tannery, and other buildings. This is about 100 yards where I dug up the Civil War US Cavalry belt buckle (someone brought home from the war, as there was no action in this area). I noticed the stone as I was walking by and saw the carvings....

Looks like a cornerstone? Freemasons? The 'PA' would fit 'Pennsylvania' which is where I am (western, PA) and it's from.

Any ideas?

If you wanted you could look up a list of lodges in that area and see if any match or contact someone from a lodge and they should be able to help

F. B. Company?
And any towns ending with the letters A. R.?
(I can't make out the rest, kept turning my head to the left, until it made a slight cracking noise)
That is one cool mystery find, keep at it!
Carl

Cool find!

I'm from Pa also and when I was logging I came across stones like that and land owners claimed they were grave stones. Just an idea deff cool find

Cool find. Perhaps stone ballast?

Maybe a grave marker of some kind? Not sure but nice find.

Here's a few more pics....

So far the verdicts (from here and a few other hunters I chat with) have said:
--grave marker
--engraved brick corner marker
--Masonic Rheims mark
--property marker
--treasure marker from old river pirates (LOL!)

I have to go back down there and look for more evidence

F.(____)B.(Brick) Co.(Company)
ZITAR, Pa. Just my thoughts..............................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back