HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a Civil War camp in Stafford. But also there was lot of early 1900s mixed in with civil war relics.. In order to view it better you may need to zoom in on my photo. Thanks in advanced and HH

About the size of a three ringer. not lead but metal.

Attachments

• P9130005.JPG
    P9130005.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P9130006.JPG
    P9130006.JPG
    593.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I found one just like it today in a Civil War Camp as well

Attachments

• image-3472208198.jpg
    image-3472208198.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
But mine has a rusty piece of iron coming off the bottom

Attachments

• image-1173943668.jpg
    image-1173943668.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Yes that is basically the same one... I am assuming Duggap is right with shotgun slug. I will uncheck the "solved" but i am sure that is what it is?

Upvote 0
I've dug lots of shotgun slugs...... These look similar, but I don't think that is what they are. They look different. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
I've dug countless of the ones 1-4 in picture but #5 i have not... They might be like 1880s-1910 era?

Upvote 0
You have pretty much convinced me now that it is a slug..... I'm just not sure of year and type.... These don't quite look like any of the ones in your pics.

Upvote 0
no doubt a shot gun slug

Upvote 0
Put a mic on it, .395 -- .399 would seal the deal on a .410 rifled slug. If no mic, it should weigh 109 grains. I instantly thought rifled slug, but the bit of iron out the
bottom of the one makes me kind of a doubter, but I have no other idea what it might be.

Upvote 0
no doubt a shot gun slug

I will concur with that as well Kuger, as HutSiteDigger's find is certainly a shotgun slug, and dates much later the the Civil War.

Loweryevens item is something else entirely. Similar shape and detail yes, but a closer look reveals that the side slots are much different, as well as the nose shape.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Lowryevans find is a "sabot" shotgun-slug that is missing the plastic sabot which was secured to the lead slug's base by the iron pin. It is a slightly different variety from the one shown at far right in the photo.

The first "saboted" shotgun-slug was patented in 1968.

Attachments

• bullet_MODERN_20th-century_shotgun-slugs-by-various-manufacturers_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_20th-century_shotgun-slugs-by-various-manufacturers_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back