Found in change bowl

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Too lazy to dig today. Finally decided to go through large change bowl that I have been using for years. Found some wheaties and a couple war nickels. Never coin roll hunted before but I can easily see myself getting into it. The question I have is how do you go about getting circulated coins? Any advice is appreciated! IMG_0458.jpeg

Upvote 9
Too lazy to dig today. Finally decided to go through large change bowl that I have been using for years. Found some wheaties and a couple war nickels. Never coin roll hunted before but I can easily see myself getting into it. The question I have is how do you go about getting circulated coins? Any advice is appreciated! View attachment 2100219
How to get circulated coins ? ? ?

Anywhere that has change has circulated coins.

Did you mean UN circulated ? ?

How to get circulated coins ? ? ?

Anywhere that has change has circulated coins.

Did you mean UN circulated ? ?
Hi arc I did mean circulated. I’ve just heard that it was difficult to get circulated rolls from banks if you ask them. Somehow it’s an inconvenience to the teller. Just what I’ve read, never tried it.

Hi arc I did mean circulated. I’ve just heard that it was difficult to get circulated rolls from banks if you ask them. Somehow it’s an inconvenience to the teller. Just what I’ve read, never tried it.
Just walk in your bank and ask for some change... start with a simple 20 dollars worth of assorted.

I have found the best way to get started is to use your local. bank. Go ask the teller that you see the most. They should be more than happy to accommodate you if you have an account there and have been banking with them for awhile. If you have formed a friendly relationship with one of the tellers even better. One of the tellers at my bank I see often, was in my high school class. We weren’t friends or anything but that connection was enough to get started. I explained what I was doing. She was actually excited To know, because there is someone else in the area who coin roll hunts. But she didn’t know what that was. She just thought it was weird when this guy would show up and ask for 1,000 dollars in coin rolls. Now she knows. So now it’s even at the point where we exchanged numbers. Any time some old person comes in with a bunch of rolls to deposit. She puts them aside and calls me. You can also find out when the bank re-ups on their own change supply. And either get first dibs or I tag on 500 or 1,000 extra into their standing order. Everybody says half dollars are the best, but I have had luck in dimes as well. If you get serious with it, you will have to call around to multiple banks in your area and start doing “runs” makes for a good winter hobby when the ground is frozen.
Good luck.

I have found the best way to get started is to use your local. bank. Go ask the teller that you see the most. They should be more than happy to accommodate you if you have an account there and have been banking with them for awhile. If you have formed a friendly relationship with one of the tellers even better. One of the tellers at my bank I see often, was in my high school class. We weren’t friends or anything but that connection was enough to get started. I explained what I was doing. She was actually excited To know, because there is someone else in the area who coin roll hunts. But she didn’t know what that was. She just thought it was weird when this guy would show up and ask for 1,000 dollars in coin rolls. Now she knows. So now it’s even at the point where we exchanged numbers. Any time some old person comes in with a bunch of rolls to deposit. She puts them aside and calls me. You can also find out when the bank re-ups on their own change supply. And either get first dibs or I tag on 500 or 1,000 extra into their standing order. Everybody says half dollars are the best, but I have had luck in dimes as well. If you get serious with it, you will have to call around to multiple banks in your area and start doing “runs” makes for a good winter hobby when the ground is frozen.
Good luck.
Thank you DE! That’s real helpful stuff.

Too lazy to dig today. Finally decided to go through large change bowl that I have been using for years. Found some wheaties and a couple war nickels. Never coin roll hunted before but I can easily see myself getting into it. The question I have is how do you go about getting circulated coins? Any advice is appreciated! View attachment 2100219
Must correct my post. The two nickels are not “ war nickels”. War nickels were 1942 to 1945. They are not silver. Had my dates my dates mixed up. My apologies.

If possible, try to find a bank that has a coin sorter machine...if you belong to the bank they usually don't take a percentage....it will save you time from re rolling coins....though the machines in my area are breaking down alot lately and the banks are starting to not repair them...

I've got one teller that I'm friendly with...they usually order new boxes of coins on Fridays...I have been doing nickels lately....

Look forward to seeing what you get...

Thank you DE! That’s real helpful stuff.
no problem cajun. Good luck out there!
If possible, try to find a bank that has a coin sorter machine...if you belong to the bank they usually don't take a percentage....it will save you time from re rolling coins....though the machines in my area are breaking down alot lately and the banks are starting to not repair them...

I've got one teller that I'm friendly with...they usually order new boxes of coins on Fridays...I have been doing nickels lately....

Yes that must be nice coinstar magnet. My little bank doesnt have one yet. The neighboring bank does but they charge a percentage. I ending up getting on of those automatic jobbies at harbor freight. But just like everything from there it broke and didnt do the best job to begin with. Ive been debating getting one of the nicer ones. At the time i liked the 15 vs 150 dollar price tag, but like with everything, you get what you pay for.
Screenshot (111).png

no problem cajun. Good luck out there!

Yes that must be nice coinstar magnet. My little bank doesnt have one yet. The neighboring bank does but they charge a percentage. I ending up getting on of those automatic jobbies at harbor freight. But just like everything from there it broke and didnt do the best job to begin with. Ive been debating getting one of the nicer ones. At the time i liked the 15 vs 150 dollar price tag, but like with everything, you get what you pay for.
View attachment 2100242
I thought about getting one....but decided it was cheaper to start up an easy checking account at M and T bank....making a $25 deposit to avoid the 11 percent charge for each time I use their machine...I saw that Salem 5 has one as well....

Thank you! Can’t wait to get into it.

Nickels are fun...I pulled about 52 out of a $100 box....pre 1959... it's not uncommon to get a couple war nickels and a buffalo each time....I haven't had a ton of success with the half dollars but I hear others have....
Really? A buffalo nickel would make my day, any year will do. It’s amazing that they’re still circulating.

Really? A buffalo nickel would make my day, any year will do. It’s amazing that they’re still circulating.
They do show up...sometimes with no dates...my earliest was a 1918...date was barely visible... sadly, the one's with no date are only worth 5 cents...but still fun to find... there was a post not too long ago of someone getting a V nickel... pretty cool. :)

Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back