Found "Four"

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Found "Four"

I found this thing on an old demolished house site. It was four or five inches deep and would have been just outside of the garage/stable area. It is roughly 5"x8" and looks like it was cast. However, it was either cut or broken on two sides. I don't really think it was cut because the "breaks" are not clean and there are no tool marks. I can't tell the kind of metal but is a dull gray color and it doesn't attract a magnet. It's also very heavy. "FOUR" is the only word on it.

I can only assume that my "FOUR" is better than a "THREE" but not as good as a "FIVE."

Any ideas?

Attachments

• four_1.JPG
    four_1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 574
  • four_2.JPG
    four_2.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 570
Re: Found "Four"

My first thought was Lead also but in the bottom pic it appears there are two different types of metal; unless it's the angle of the picture. You can see what appears to be a distinct outer metal and then something that resembles pig iron.

Upvote 0

Is there a chance that it weighs four pounds? I've found a few pieces like this very dense iron/? retangular in shape but with no markings. My Dad says they are scale weights used in old time scale houses. I remember once when I was a kid he crawled into and old fallen down barn to gather some of these from an old live stock scale.

Upvote 0

SWR said:
One piece of a three or four section ingot. No telling what the other sections said

True. Dad worked for a zinc smelter. They put out some souvenirs that were in four sections saying "Black", "well", "Zinc", "Co."

Upvote 0

O.K. so the obvious thing to do now is to put it on a scales and see if it weighs four pounds!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back