Found-Cache silver and gold

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
True story Started detecting in 98, but been a treasure hunter siince birth. Love pirate movies and "Buried Treasure". Was detecting for 13 months not very successful with the XLT took alot of time to understand the tones and what not. So where better to practice than your home. In this case it was the family home built 1853 owned close to a thousand acres and very very prominent people at their time.

I have found to date 1 of every type of US silver coin minted as well as flying eagle, indian, wheat even steel wheat cents. Found civil war bullets and belt buckles, Relics of evry type. This site is paradise to me.

Then one day after reading an article in Lost Treasure about detecting Crawl spaces, I decided to give it a try. Found only one target under there - an indian cent. But while in the cellar I realized that one corner of the floor was dirt while all the rest had been replaced by concrete. I detected this 7X7 foot area for 3 hours digging Silver and Gold coins from the hard clay earth. Hundreds of Morgan silver dollars from every year til 1902 many from CC mint. Seated Liberty Halves, Barber Halves, Barber Quarters, and... $5 and $10 dollar Half Eagles and Eagles

WOW what a day!! Took off that night from work... Sick?

To think all those years growing up in that house dreaming of treasure and money and everything. Going down and sitting on that floor during tornados. And all that time it lay there waiting for me to find it.

Anyone else have similar stories to share?

We all WANT to have similar stories ;) Awesome finds, Nick. When are we gonna bust up the concrete in the rest of the cellar? :D

Have detected through the concrete with magnetometers as well as many types of detectors and havent found any significant signals to warrant doing that.

I took tons of pics although I must admit I did sell some of the silver over the years. Not the gold though, that is the prize that we all go for. In truth it is true that its not treasure we seek its the thrill of the hunt. but you can only really appreciate this after finding treasure.

will post pics as soon as possible. In the process of moving out of state and dont have access to my home computer for some time yet.

Sounds like a "dream come true" spot. I have a 95-year old grandma who has a few acres. I detected it with a Fisher 1225X several years ago and found a few old coins and some interesting jars. I am looking into getting an XLT and hitting that area again. Anyway, I enjoyed the story you shared and look forward to seeing some photos.

Have you tried taking about a foot of that dirt out of that 7' by 7' chunk of heaven and detecting again? There might possibly be another coin or three. Remember wet soil is more conductive too. I'd flood the basement and dive right in. Just my 2 cents worth. You might also want to sift the dirt too. Marbles don't ring up so well on a detector and some marbles are worth a few beans. What do you have to lose other then an afternoon? Jason

Magno or not if the newest coin is older then the creat there is more under it. Do it. SASQUASH<><

You know I heard another story where the cache was found in the only section of the basement not under concrete. I suppose they wanted to bury it downstairs but had only the one choice.

People usually keep the best of the coins in their caches. Gold over silver over copper. And new over old. If a coin is perceived as having better quality or condition then it is saved in the cache and the "bad" coins spent. Actually the OLD coins will have more value later but thats not the way people do it. We wish they saved the old stuff and spent the new ones.

Caches also give a snap shot at what was circulating at the time. The date of the last coin is the date when the person likely stopped depositing coins and also when they stopped accessing the cache.

Caches went into the ground for many reasons, banking, war, disaster, war, treasure stolen, accident etc .... They stayed cause they were lost either by misplacement or death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back