Found at Fort Daniels (1813) Site

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in the initial metal detecting survey. We haven't been able to identify it, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows what it is. It appears to be made of bronze or brass.

Also found in the area were musket balls, lead slag, china plate and wrought nails. Doesn't necessarily mean this is from the same era as the other finds.

Thanks,

Sheldius

Attachments

• mystery object.jpg
    mystery object.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 574
Maybe an old key terminal.

Upvote 0
My guess - broken sink faucet lever. How did you take that picture, the item seems like it's floating in air? Illusionist?

:o
Ian

Upvote 0
Has it been cleaned or coated? Surface looks strange for brass/bronze that has been in the ground for almost 100 years?

Daryl

Upvote 0
SaginawIan said:
My guess - broken sink faucet lever. How did you take that picture, the item seems like it's floating in air? Illusionist?

Professional Archaeological technique. You must join us or I'd have to bury you after I told you. ;)

Really I don't know, since the cleaning/preservation/etc. was all done by TRC Garrow. I suspect that it was on a very high quality scanner and an elevated scanner cover.

And yes, Bioprofessor, it was cleaned. It was much blacker colored in the field. I'm not convinced it is from the Fort time period.

Thanks for the interest.

Upvote 0
You can also place the object on glass and balance the light behind the item to make it appear to be floating. However they did it, it still looks neat.

The reason I asked about it being cleaned is that now the surface is the real surface and not covered in "field crud." I assume the cleaning would not remove any patina. To me, it just looks strange. It almost looks like clay or pottery. Most of the brass, bronze, copper, etc. I have found tends to patina a greenish or reddish color. Knowing that it is clean, I have no clue as to what the metal might be and therefore no clue as to what it might be or have been used for.

Just my thoughts.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back