✅ SOLVED Found at a Yard Sale

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a yard sale last weekend and am real curious as to what it is. It is 34mm in diameter and 12mm tall. It is to be worn as a pendant. I appears to be made of pewter and brass. The brass outer ring can be rotated to line up a hole in it with letters representing the months of the year(?). If I wasn't an old man with failing eyesight, the hole in the brass ring can be lined up with numbers inscribed inside the ring 1-12. In addition, directly across from the 1-12 is also inscribed SW with the circle r of the trademark symbol on one edge, on the other edge are the Latin words "Carpe Deim"(sieze the day). The woman I bought this from said she thought it was a mechanical compass from Harry Potter, but I've been all over the web and haven't seen anything like it. My nephew, a big time Harry Potter fan also said he didn't recognise it. In addition, as a trained navigator, I tried to get it to line up in any way with the cardinal points with no luck. Any ideas?

DSCN0682.JPG
DSCN0683.JPG
DSCN0684.JPG

Last edited:
This is a wild guess, but the 1-12 sounds like a way to tell time. Lineing up the hole in the brass ring and the "Seize the day" sounds like some device used to keep track of a certain time and date?
But why?
I'm sure someone else on this forum will know.
Interesting.

Upvote 0
The hole in the brass ring won't line up to view the 'carpe diem'. They are both on the same side. If you look at the last picture you can just make out the trademark and the 'carpe diem'. The numbers are directly opposite of that. If I had of gotten a little closer on the first picture you could see them.

taz42o,
As I mentioned, I've attempted to line up everything in every way I could think of, and can't get it to line up to any N/S or E/W coordinate reliably. Also, if a sundial, the only thing static on it, is the bale. Everything else moves. As far as a ring is concerned, my ring sizer goes up to 13 and it's several sizes larger than that. ID is 24 mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My hats off to you taz42o. I believe you've got it! I just assumed you meant a ring you wear, in your earlier post. Thanks. This is one of those things I saw and figured was worth the fifty cents just to find out what it was. I appreciate your help.

capt-zero

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back