Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Got to hunt for a couple hours today and went a neighborhood not far from me that's produced some good silver and tons of wheats. I went to a house I got permission to hunt earlier in the month..the first couple of times didn't produce squat except for a couple of modern dimes and a lone wheatie..

Today I was going by it again so I stopped by to check it once more. I found another wheat (1941) near the house, and on the other side of the driveway (at the bottom of a small grade) I found a '45 Merc, which was right on the property line.

SEP3.jpg

SEP2.jpg

I couldn't believe my luck, not just because I found silver, but also because I saw the date, the last year Winged Liberty's were struck.

Nat

Upvote 0
Way to go on finding that great Merc! I'm having a hard time finding pennies. :D :D :D :D

Nice Job of scouring the ground and sucking it dry of all it's numistic resources.
He he.

Congratulations always love them silver days. The 1945 Merc was the first ever silver coin that I found MDing, so that particular one holds a spot in my heart.

Great find.

Rev

lost at sea said:
Great looking coins.

Thanks!

tymcmurray said:
I would be exstatic with two a day like those.
piggman1 said:
Way to go on finding that great Merc! I'm having a hard time finding pennies. :D :D :D :D

I'm telling you - find some old private yards. Last month I stumbled upon a neighborhood whose houses were built in 1951..found 3 Mercs, a Franklin half, a silver Washington, 7 silver Rosies and probably 50 wheats..if you can ever get permission to hunt a few 50+ year old yards, I'm sure you'll be finding this kind of stuff.

Bull Durham said:
Nice Job of scouring the ground and sucking it dry of all it's numistic resources.
He he

You bet..I went to one yard 8 times and took it for everything it was worth!

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Natman...

Congratulations on another great find...That Merc is in outstanding shape too... :oVery nice,
Nick

We need rain....BAD

Thanks Nick, I was careful diggin' today..I sharpened my digger with a file before I left to help penetrate the hard ground..hope it rains before the weather gets cold.

Postalrevnant said:
Congratulations always love them silver days. The 1945 Merc was the first ever silver coin that I found MDing, so that particular one holds a spot in my heart. Great find.
Rev

Thanks Rev..my first was a '41.

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back