Found another California site today - more mortar bowls

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went out this morning and found a dry creek to walk. While hiking to the creek I ran into a ranger who said a hiker got bite by a rattlesnake in the area yesterday. So I was pretty cautious when i walked the creek. Didn't find anything but I came to a section where the creek met another creek and there was a big hill in between the two. I investigated and started seeing mortar bowls in the granite. I am sure there are a lot more but I wasn't going to go walking through tall grass with snakes to find out. Still haven't found any artifacts in California. Its tough when the sites are all grass. Anyway thought I would share the pictures.

20140504_123220 (2).jpg20140504_125221 (2).jpg
20140504_125312 (2).jpg20140504_130410 (2).jpg

Upvote 0
Very cool , in the area where I live you don't find that, we don't have large beds of stone.

i check around there good where creeks and rivers meet is always good,check the creek bed too

...another good find! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

i check around there good where creeks and rivers meet is always good,check the creek bed too

I grew up hunting in Iowa and have hunted a lot of sites where two creek merge. When I saw the hill and creek i knew that I had found a site. Sometime i just say to myself, there is no way Indians didn't live on that hill! I posted pics awhile back of the first site I found in Cali. The place has 17 mortar bowls and a lot of quartz chips.

This creek was about a 2 hour walk from the car and rattlesnake season is in full force right now. I will most defiantly go back but it might not be until October. I really hate snakes!

Last edited:
Very cool , in the area where I live you don't find that, we don't have large beds of stone.

I had never seen one either until I moved out here. I was some at an outdoor interpretative museum one time and now I seem to see them everywhere!

rattle snakes are ok as they warn you just watch not to step on one or reach down in some under growth.snakes are more likely to run from you,every time i see one it runs so fast that i can not even get a picture of it.i always wanted to see California in person i hope you do some more hunting and share.oh i would not worry about snakes but mountain loins and bears would stop me for sure

rattle snakes are ok as they warn you just watch not to step on one or reach down in some under growth.snakes are more likely to run from you,every time i see one it runs so fast that i can not even get a picture of it.i always wanted to see California in person i hope you do some more hunting and share.oh i would not worry about snakes but mountain loins and bears would stop me for sure

I will share more pictures as I find spots to look. It is hard for me because I am used to hunting in Iowa, where I grew up and know the land owners. Out here no one wants to let you walk around on there land because they think you will end up getting hurt and suing them, or you will vandalize there property, or whatever else...I have heard a ton of excuses. Back home you ask a land owner to hunt and they say...wait a minute, you want to go out in my field and pick up rocks for free? Go for it! (For those who do not know farmers in my area hire people every year to pick up rocks that could damage farm equipment). I always tell them I will pick up any big rocks that I see and throw them in the fence row.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back