Found an old silver coin UPDATED and IDed...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here?s what my buddy said about the coin: Bavaria Mike posted a coin whose portrait is immediately identifiable to collectors of older European coins. The coin portrait shows Leopold I of Austria, known as "Hogmouth". He had a facial deformity that has been called the Habsburg Chin. Leopold ruled from 1658 - 1705. Here's another, but similar, coin with a clearer view.
I don't know if people dared to refer openly to their kings with names like Ivar the One-Eyed, Louis the Fat, or Ethelred the Unready -- or if these names were used only by enemies. The "Hogmouth" coin engraver seems to have made an honest portrait, as did the engravers of Roman coins of Claudius (conqueror of Britain), who had a neck or back deformity shown on his coins.
It is thought that genetic inbreeding among nobility such as the Hapsburgs may have caused their large chin, and they too often were hemophiliacs.
663tyrost.jpg

Found this old silver coin this weekend, looks like it might be dated 1599 but it being stamped off center, I can?t read the second number very clear.? I saw some similar coins from the early 1600s in my reference book but haven?t had much time to research it.? Also found 3 other coins, late 1800 and early 1900, two buckles, a few musket balls and some old buttons.? Here?s the obverse of the silver.
47b5d609b3127cce93e5634e555200000016108AYsWjhy5cta

Reverse, the date is at the 1100 and 1300 position.? The coin looks better than the picture.? HH, Mike
47b5d609b3127cce93e56341d46d00000016108AYsWjhy5cta

Upvote 0
Re: Found an old silver coin...

Great looking coin, Mike, WTG!!!
No idea what it is, but I like it... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Nice coin Mike. That is one old silver. It makes my old coins look like todays modern clad. I would love to come over that way and do some detecting. You guys have some super old history that I would be all over if I lived in your parts.

Keep up the good work.

Jeremy

1599!!!! Wow! That's one GREAT coin!!!!

Congrats!!!

;)

Nice find Mike!

HH

Lonewolfe

Added the coin ID and a picture. HH, Mike

Mike, how do you do it? I can not break the year 1850 since I have been here. That is an awesome coin?HH

Isn't it just amazing to think that coin has been around for over 400 years? Really makes you think........about where the 500-year-old coins are! Great find!

Hey Birdman, the small silvers I find are usually much smaller and thinner than a dime. They sound like trash and also VDI as trash, show up on my XLT as a bottle cap or pull tab. I've dug up silvers all through the VDI range so it's really hard to say how silver reads. I usually dig everything except iron but an occasional Ox shoe will fake me out sometimes. Check those questionable signals is all I can say. The coin on this post is actually a 1699, not 1599 as I originally thought. HH, Mike

Man! only 1699! Thats not even a keeper.LoL I find a few coins but not many older then early 1900s. I guess it is all in research. When are you coming back up this way?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back