Found an old flintlock side plate but which one??

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all I would like to thank Ironpatch for the ID of the sideplate I found at an old homesite. This plate was literally in the trash can and I had to dig it out. After cleaning it I found a few markings and have no idea what they mean and what kind of rifle it came from. I hope the pictures and the size helps to narrow it down as there are many plates that are similar. Thanks for any help Ron

002-11.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

003-10.jpg

006-5.jpg

I noticed that in your post and figured you knew what it was......I dug several before it hit me what they were too.I think it is going to be hard to say exactly what gun it went to but the people on here are good!

Upvote 0
kuger said:
I noticed that in your post and figured you knew what it was......I dug several before it hit me what they were too.I think it is going to be hard to say exactly what gun it went to but the people on here are good!

Yes, I'd say an old gun professional. I would think that the average person wouldn't have a clue. It would have to be your profession. Thanks anyways. Ron

Upvote 0
That style was used on French trade guns, French military muskets, early U.S. muskets.

Creepy avatar, BTW. :laughing9:

Upvote 0
CRAZYJARHEAD said:
kuger said:

Yes, I'd say an old gun professional. I would think that the average person wouldn't have a clue. It would have to be your profession. Thanks anyways. Ron
Well,I wouldnt consider myself"the average person off the street",but I can tell you they used the same design on many different early firearms

Upvote 0
I guess this is IDed and we like to see the green checks. :icon_thumright:

Here are some old musket side plates from my files.

Attachments

• musket partm1795sideplates.jpg
    musket partm1795sideplates.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 747
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:

Green Check ??? What do you mean?? Thanks for the usefull info BCH but the green check is ??? I'm guessing 1 or 5.

Upvote 0
Crazyjarhead said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Green Check ??? What do you mean?? Thanks for the usefull info BCH but the green check is ??? I'm guessing 1 or 5.
Im sorry. I thought it was already IDed. Its cool. My bad. If I get a chance, Ill try to help. Little busy with taxes now.

Upvote 0
The "Karibiner 98" (K 98) was a german mauser rifle from WW1-2. Probably of no relevence to your item,except it's stamped "K 98".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back