Found an old fireplace

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I bought some land 4 years ago and have just got around to clearing the brush. We found a fireplace that I can trace the brick to Clay City in 1920’s. We finally had to stop due to the heat but we will start our exploration this weekend. Can’t wait! IMG_9820.jpeg
IMG_9819.jpeg
IMG_9818.jpeg

Upvote 24
GREAT idea :) Did they have basements the area where the chimney was found ?

So now I am perplexed. As you can see we dug the inside out until we hit brick. However we found no opening. Could it be the house was raised up and the opening was metal doors and the the vent went up? Maybe it was an oven? My old timers have never seen one like this before. Thoughts?

IMG_9844.jpeg
IMG_9843.jpeg

Maybe it isn't a fireplace, just a brick chimney that the cast iron stove(s) sent their exhaust into? I've seen intact old buildings with brick chimneys made that way. Never had a fireplace, just stoves.

A cool looking site !

There's probably some old coins and relics there.
I'd hunt the area low and slow - with a smaller coil if possible.

Good Luck !

Maybe it isn't a fireplace, just a brick chimney that the cast iron stove(s) sent their exhaust into? I've seen intact old buildings with brick chimneys made that way. Never had a fireplace, just stoves.
I'd bet you nailed it robertK. That would fit in nicely with what's left of it.

I bought some land 4 years ago and have just got around to clearing the brush. We found a fireplace that I can trace the brick to Clay City in 1920’s. We finally had to stop due to the heat but we will start our exploration this weekend. Can’t wait!View attachment 2163613View attachment 2163614View attachment 2163615
Always nice finding a good starting point like this and to have all the time in the world to search it. Hopefully it yields several great years of hunting. Good luck!

Could be foundation column.
Or what was called a "smoke house".

No permission required! :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back