• image-3075084507.jpg
    image-3075084507.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image-2252067893.jpg
    image-2252067893.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 3
WOW! There's still hope for us who check our change!!! :hello2:

Probably some detectorist with the eye sight of "Mr. McGoo" found it, put it in his pocket, then bought lunch :laughing7:--doesn't look like it's been back in circulation for very long. Nice find--congrats!

I have a theory, too...

I used to take some of the older common-dated coins I'd acquired and either throw them in the street for kids to find or recirculate them for other collectors to find. Kinda nostalgic for the way I got into coin collecting myself and wanting to do the same for others.

Just a thought.

Cti4 I have often though about doing the same thing! Or maybe even burying them for another detector enthusiast to find. I think it's a GREAT idea and it really will make someone's day/ week/Month. Kudos to you.

I used to work in a c-store, and we had a guy come in once a week with dollar and half coins from 1940's on down to turn of the century. One day I asked him why he was spending these great coins on sodas and beer. He replied, "my kids keep breaking into my collection. I figure if they're going to get spent, it might as well be on stuff I want."

Needless to say, i didn't argue and made sure I got scheduled for the day and time he came in.

Yes, I think it was purposely put in circulation. I know I spend any no date buffs and worn slick or toasted Indians. It's fun to see the look on the cashiers face. Most of the time they will do a double take and stare at it for a few seconds.???

You'd be amazed how many people wouldnt know it's real (albeit not current) American currency. Was a burger king cashier, and their manager who asked me to pay with something other than $2 bills, because they thought those were fakes.

I agree it's cool to put some old coins back in circulation ,caouse some who find them get that little bit of joy , us coin collectors get when we dig or find one in change. It's also a shame some low information folks don't know the differnce or how to spell..???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back