✅ SOLVED Found a stone that seems to have some type of carving

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm new to here I really don't know where to o to get help with this ... they are excavating on my street to redo water pipes and such so me and my kids were looking through for some cool rocks and arrowheads which we did find.
A bunch of woolley mammoth was found just down the street a long time ago.
We found a stone which seems to have some chisel marks and what look like to me as some type of carving or maybe fossil I really have no idea. Just looking for help and that I'm not just seeing things .
I appreciate it and hope I can get some help IMG_0638.JPGIMG_0639.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Boomerboom! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from General Discussion over to Our Discoveries > What Is It? for more exposure :..​

Upvote 0
Thank you sir I appreciate it realized 2 minutes later I put it in the wrong spot.
Thanks for the welcome lots of interesting things on here!

Upvote 0
rock photos are hard because there is something about holding it that helps me with id, looks like maybe ripple marks, they look symmetrical which would indicate tidal action, river ripples will be asymmetrical because the current only flows in one direction

Upvote 0
rock photos are hard because there is something about holding it that helps me with id, looks like maybe ripple marks, they look symmetrical which would indicate tidal action, river ripples will be asymmetrical because the current only flows in one direction

Okay that sounds pretty neat like hearing all different theories and opinions appreciate it .
So on the bottom right where looks like there's two types of animals to my eye anyways are just probably a natural occurance that our brain perceives as a image is what is likely happening?

I see some type of bird or like monkey or something even looks like there is a tail the area a long time ago was inhabited by native Americans so when I saw it just really peaked my interest.
Also found a green rock that looks to have some type of circle scratched across the whole thing with a line in the middle, I'm guessing it's probably natural as well lol

Upvote 0
Older the Better, hit the nail on the head, looks def. like ripple marks, old creek or canyon nearby? near a shore?

Upvote 0
Older the Better, hit the nail on the head, looks def. like ripple marks, old creek or canyon nearby? near a shore?

There is a river about a .75 to 1 mile away from where I am now.
Pretty cool, found it intriguing didn't look like any rocks around where my property had been excavated for replacing water pipes.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys will be a cool thing to learn about and teach my kids how it happens and what it is.

Upvote 0
I agree with the ripple marks. Looks like sandstone. But from a river or shore millions of years ago that may not be anywhere near a current one.

Upvote 0
Have one other weird rock to me anyways ... it's probably just a normal rock but my kids really liked and it think it's something special likely from a river bed as well?IMG_0642.JPGIMG_0645.JPGIMG_0644.JPG

Upvote 0
Lot of rock collectors covet specimens like that, and if you can find it in solid bedrock that's a goldmine. Good collection piece for the kids.

Upvote 0
Lot of rock collectors covet specimens like that, and if you can find it in solid bedrock that's a goldmine. Good collection piece for the kids.

Thanks again appreciate it is there any specific name of rock that it is? The first rock likely limestone and the green one could be ?

Upvote 0
IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0646.JPG

Looks like it was embedded in something at one point and put a lighter beside just to show size

Upvote 0
There is what seems to be a bunch of quartz veins running along several sides of it,
Any chance there is anything good inside of it like some type of quartz or is it likely to just be the same composition on the outside?

Upvote 0
Your green rock looks like serpentine?

Upvote 0
Your green rock looks like serpentine?

Okay thank you, I don't know much of anything about rocks this has been a real eye opener this place has been a great help hopefully can scrape up some more discoveries in the area as there is a lot of excavation going and find some real treasures

Cheers

Upvote 0
Not 100% comfortable on my knowledge of Canadian geology but I believe that there is a lot of igneous rock, which would explain the vein in it serpentine would be a good guess olivine maybe pyroxene all cause a greenish color, could be some mix of all 3

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back