Found a really cool sign in the woods today. State Reservation Game Refuge?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting along a stone wall today and got a very loud 40's signal. Thought it might be a steel beer can, but I dug it anyway. I'm glad I did, because it ended up being a rather large sign! I've never seen this sign posted anywhere in the woods, so I'm not sure how old it may be. It's 15" x 18" and reads:

"State Reservation Game Refuge
No Hunting No Trapping
Div. of Fish & Game"

It's pretty rusty, but it did clean up fairly well with a hose and a scrubbing pad. I may try to soak it in citric acid to see if I can make it a little more presentable. We'll see.

Anyone care to guess how old this sign is? I'm thinking pre-1970, but that's just speculation on my part.

DSC07902.jpgDSC07905.JPG

Upvote 12
Cool sign! I rarely find them in good condition, except for a "No Mopeds, Motercycles, Bicycles, Skateboards, and Roller Skates on School Grounds" sign that I found deep in the woods. Still no where nearly as good as yours. Yours cleaned up good, I love old signs!

Nice find. I’ve found a couple similar signs in CT. I’m guessing yours was from the 50s. Is the state agency still called Division of Fisn and Game? Sounds outdated. CT has renamed the Department of Environmental Protection a number of times in the past 20 years.
HH
dts

Appears to be porcelain, (old) and like dts52 said, if your state's agency is called Division of Fish and Game to this day, or it changed from that name in the past, can help you date it. Great find, Sub 8-)

When the Gov. controls the "Definitions" That is a VERY Powerful thing. So that area is probably overgrown with homes Or??

Depends on how one defines protecting the environment but you are absolutely correct. Nothing stands in the way of government and politicians making money, certainly not the environment. Besides, what would you rather see, a bunch of crummy old hardwood forests or some beautiful new VACANT strip malls?
HH
dts

Nice find. I’ve found a couple similar signs in CT. I’m guessing yours was from the 50s. Is the state agency still called Division of Fisn and Game? Sounds outdated. CT has renamed the Department of Environmental Protection a number of times in the past 20 years.
HH
dts

When the Gov. controls the "Definitions" That is a VERY Powerful thing. So that area is probably overgrown with homes Or?? Do you think it was tossed into the area you found it?

I’m guessing yours was from the 50s. Is the state agency still called Division of Fisn and Game? Sounds outdated.

You're right, that name hasn't been used in quite awhile. They call it the Division of Fish & Wildlife now. That would be really amazing if it was that old!

So that area is probably overgrown with homes Or?? Do you think it was tossed into the area you found it

I found it on a land trust property owned by the town. Totally undeveloped and heavily wooded. It was at an opening in a stone wall that I think leads to DEM land.

That sign is a great find. I agree with your age of pre 1970's. There are a few ways you can research the sign, but I would not contact the agency directly. (They may want the sign back) !

Pocelian signs have shot way up in value, that one sure is a beauty. I am sure you have a place in mind to display it. Congrats on the great find!!!

Nice find. Congrats[emoji106]

Thanks, guys! Glad you all think it's a cool find as well. I forgot to mention that I found another one exactly like it last week. It was completely toasted, so I didn't post it here. But here's what it looks like. I'm going to soak it in citric acid and see if I can get some of the rust off. Worth a shot.

I'll be going back to that spot today to look for another one. Only in the 40's outside, but I'm greedy! I want more of them! LOL!

DSC07907.JPG

No porcelain signs today, but I did clean up the toasted one. I soaked it in citric acid for six hours. Still pretty rough, but at least I can read it now.

DSC07923.JPGDSC07924.jpg

Nice save,, can't remember finding anything more then a few license plates over the years.
Congratulations

Guys that restore those old porcelain signs, use an auto polishing wax to brighten the colors and remove light rust. Might be a good next step for the better condition sign.

Cool finds, have only found a few toasted signs that weren't worth messing with so far.

hh,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back