found a new spot!! finally got a YES for permission.....

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but my detector literally went off 1 time for a tiny buckle, walked the entire perimeter of this property and saw NO signs of life (pottery, brick fragments, etc.), this has been used as a tomato field for years but i cant find evidence of any structure anywhere, oh well, if it aint there, it aint there 130416_0000.jpg130416_0001.jpg

Upvote 2
It happens. It happened to me this weekend but I did score a nice arrowhead!

Attachments

• image-4058683611.jpg
    image-4058683611.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 164
I keep hearing fields are great. Not my experience as yet.

I'm gonna join the conspiracy theorists RM and say this: somewhere on this site the person who first said " Go to the fields, young man! There's gold in them thar fields!" Is laughing uncontrollably at the prank they created! Just imagine the number of detectors that have been thrown into the basement in disgust after doing nothing more than getting dust on the Buster Browns. ;)

I'm gonna join the conspiracy theorists RM and say this: somewhere on this site the person who first said " Go to the fields, young man! There's gold in them thar fields!" Is laughing uncontrollably at the prank they created! Just imagine the number of detectors that have been thrown into the basement in disgust after doing nothing more than getting dust on the Buster Browns. ;)

oh im definately not disgusted, just surprised. Our very first field was my sons idea and turned out to be an amazing spot, (8 LCs, 1 2 center, couple of fatty IHs, and 26 buttons). But that one had signs of life, or as i seen others call it a "debris field". Im still inexperienced and believe the key is finding those debris fields in farm fields so i walked the perimeter in search of that and nada.....

Here's a suggestion for you. Go to your local Historical Society, or Library, and ask to see a copy of the oldest atlas for your area. If you are lucky they may let you copy the page(s) that you want. That will show all of the houses, schools, businesses, churches, etc. and who was the owner at the time. Take a copy of that map and compare it to a current map and you can find where buildings used to stand. Otherwise, you are just guessing that something might have been there. Even if someone says that a building was in a field, you'd be better off knowing where it was located, instead of just wandering around hoping to find the location.

Scott

Here's a suggestion for you. Go to your local Historical Society, or Library, and ask to see a copy of the oldest atlas for your area. If you are lucky they may let you copy the page(s) that you want. That will show all of the houses, schools, businesses, churches, etc. and who was the owner at the time. Take a copy of that map and compare it to a current map and you can find where buildings used to stand. Otherwise, you are just guessing that something might have been there. Even if someone says that a building was in a field, you'd be better off knowing where it was located, instead of just wandering around hoping to find the location.

Scott

yeah i gotta look into that, unfortunately school occupies alot of my time lately and its done on may 9th and ill finally b able to do the research i want not the schoolwork im forced to do lol:laughing7:

Some of those maps are available online. If you can score an online map of the area with historical places listed (As mentioned above and scanned, or from the towns comprehensive plan (public knowledge), etc..) you can overlay it on google earth very easily (one button import then some adjusting of size). From there you will have a great current view of the area with the old markers shown. Will show exactly what was on that field and with some maps, which way they faced, etc... HH

Farm fields can produce. And sometimes amazing stuff. Others, it's just quiet. Big coils will get a bit deeper and cut down your search time. Good luck!!!

Farm fields can produce. And sometimes amazing stuff. Others, it's just quiet. Big coils will get a bit deeper and cut down your search time. Good luck!!!

So you're telling me size DOES matter?

lol i got the DD coil for my ace and it was quiet, i had to throw a quarter down to make sure it was working

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back