🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Found a large shell casing in the woods. Need help to ID it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting deep in the woods today and came across a very large shell casing. It measures 7 1/2 inches long and might be aluminum (not magnetic). No clue on this one. I did find it near the RI state police training academy, so maybe some sort of dummy round? Any help would be appreciated.

Only have one pic right now. I'll take a few more tomorrow.

shell july 2023.png

It looks similar to an incomplete WWII German B1E incendiary bomb. Body without tail and fuze measures approximately 7.8 inches.

Notice on the second picture, the end cap is removable giving it the same back end as the one you found.

WARNING: I don't know if this in a dummy device you found or what. That said as an incendiary device it can be very dangerous. If me I'd notify local law enforcement and let them deal with it. As much as I love militaria, and finding it in the wild, there are somethings that are better left untouched. Better to err on the side of caution, and live to tell the tale.

image_5630747.jpg

37incend-013664_4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8
Definitely not a live round. Hollow inside and the primer on bottom has been fired. I'll try to take better pics when I wake up a little more!

Upvote 0
In my opinion, it is not a projectile, not a shell, nor a shell-casing.

Has to be one of those. I found it near the RI state police training academy, but in the middle of the woods. No way was it dropped there. Must have been some sort of errant shot and landed there, in my opinion.

The obvious question is, what else could it be? The bottom looks like it may screw off, so maybe I could get a better idea of what it is if I could remove it. The bottom sure looks like it has a copper primer that has been fired.

I hate finding things no one can identify! Lol!

Upvote 0
Could be a tear gas projectile. It's similar to this one, except the holes are on the side instead of the bottom:

tear gas projectile.jpg

Upvote 1
Could be a tear gas projectile. It's similar to this one, except the holes are on the side instead of the bottom:

View attachment 2094465

FreeBirdTim, I did not see your reply until tonight. Thank you for the interesting ID info. I see I should have said (in my reply above) that I'm sure it is not an ARTILLERY projectile.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back