Found a Key & Chain

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Found a Key & Chain

Was out hunting with my buddy today and I found this key and chain. The chain was wrapped around the key and says !4K on it. I figured the key was for a house or apartment. Looking closer at it I think its a pretty old key. Found it in Portland Oregon and it says its from Britan CT. Anyone know anything about this key or its age?

Attachments

• FrontKey1.jpg
    FrontKey1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 278
  • KeyBack1.jpg
    KeyBack1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 283
Re: Found a Key & Chain

P. & F. Corbin originated in 1849 when brothers Philip and Frank Corbin, and Edward Doen established the firm of Doen, Corbin & Co., to manufacture ox balls. The company's name changed to P. & F. Corbin in 1851. In the last half of the 19th century they broadened their products to include coffin trimmings, knobs, and stove handles. In 1868 they began specializing in the manufacture of builder's hardware and locks.

Upvote 0

Here is your key from a 1917 ad for door locks.Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Corbin71917CL.jpg
    Corbin71917CL.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0

Thanks for the replies and information guys. I just has a feeling this was not an ordinary modern key. Make about the third old key this year I have found.

Upvote 0

A little more history:
Today's successor company to P.& F. Corbin is Corbin Russwin who traces its history to 1839, when Henry Russell and Cornelius Erwin began manufacturing plate locks. In 1902, their company merged with P. and F. Corbin, originally founded in 1849 by Philip and Frank Corbin and Ed Doen, to form The American Hardware Corporation. After a series of acquisitions, in 1964 American Hardware was acquired by the Emhart Corporation. Later, Black and Decker purchased the company and combined the Corbin and Russwin brands to form Corbin Russwin; still operating in Conn.
You may wish to contact them for more history on your key.
Don.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back