found a c.w. powder factory ruin

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
I've been doing some research and have found some ruins from what was a powder factory. I have learned that it accidentally exploded in 1863 killing 10 workers. It was rebuilt and the same thing happened the next year killing one. This site is also located at a ford on the river that was on the old tuckaseegee indian trail used alot between the late1700's and up until 1915. The site is very deep in the woods and difficult to get to. It seems to me that if the place blew up twice( first time 700lbs of powder) then there should be lots of artifacts in and around the area. The next time I go the vegitation will be down and I'll take the old whites with me.

Upvote 0
keep in mind rk that while there is probably an abundance of explosion debris in the area, it may not be metal debris. let me explain.........i live very close to the dupont powder mills in delaware. this powder mill manufactured much (if not all) of the gunpowder for the union army. when you take the museum tour, they explain that metal was generally not used in and around the powder manufacturing process due to the fear of sparks being made and setting off an explosion. the workers even had to wear wooden soled shoes held together with wooden pegs instead of nails. i would still check it out though. there could be some cool lost coins around! but dont be discouraged if there are not as many metal targets as you thought there would be.

Hey, at least you dont got to worry about all kinds of metal building debris :D I would turn your disc way down!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back