FOUND 12 POUND NUGGET IN RIVER! What is it?

Iniptia

Dec 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20181204_111547.jpg
    20181204_111547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
looks like lead to me. maybe from casting weights in the keel of a boat?

Upvote 0
Does it seem heavy for its size?
If so probably lead like Tpmetal said if it's not heavy it could be aluminum.

Upvote 0
Looks like melted aluminum to me. I find melted beer cans all day searching old camp sites.
I've always wanted to meltdown a bunch of aluminum and pour it down ant holes. After digging the cooled alum up makes a nice decoration.

Upvote 0
Welcome Iniptia, and nice find?

You didn't say how big a river or show the larger samples. Take one of the larger specimens, weigh it and immerse it in a known volume of water. Measure the volume of the water displaced from the container. Now
divide the weight by the volume and you have specific gravity or density. Look up a density table for common metal alloys and their specific gravity. Large globs of lead can have a number origins. sailors on a large ship made their own musket balls. Lead was often used to stabilize the ship's keel. Lead was melted in large quantities to seal plumbing joints till plastic soil pipe came along.

Good luck in your efforts!

Upvote 0
Where's the 12# one? Those look like melted aluminum to me if the are not lead

Upvote 0
Looks like melted aluminum to me. I find melted beer cans all day searching old camp sites.
I've always wanted to meltdown a bunch of aluminum and pour it down ant holes. After digging the cooled alum up makes a nice decoration.

I think I can hear them singing . . . .
Bill

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Iniptia! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

That is so cool!!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Iniptia,
We need something to gage the size of your pieces.
As it is they look like camp fire nuggets or melted beer cans or Could be lead.

Also I don't know how A2coins missed a post welcoming you to TreasureNet..
So Welcome..,

And that's one way to kill fire ants...

Upvote 0
I was gonna say camp lead. My dad got me “ant art” for Christmas a few years ago, I asked for a corvette

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back