Found 1 from 1862

D

diggin-it-all

I found this coin at a park near my house. You can make out the words Bank Of Upper Canada and the date 1862 on 1 side. I can't make out anything on the reverse. It appears to be copper and the size of a silver dollar. Does anyone know how I can clean it a little to meake it readable without damaging it? It is by far the oldest coin I've found and don't want to ruin it. Thanks and HH.
diggin-it-all

Attachments

• 1862 Coin.jpg
    1862 Coin.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0
I have found several similar coins - I soaked them overnight in dishwashing liquid and used a tooth brush ( soft bristle) to try and clean them up a little - be careful with abrasives - most are not worth too much - where are you from - Bob Temple Frankford Ontario

Wonder what a half penny would buy? Anyone ever hear about the 1/10 cent (decicent) coins the US put out a long time ago? I have, but never seen one. Has anyone else? ???
If so, wonder what they would be worth now?

Digging, do what Capt Bob suggest, and be really gentle with the toothbrush. If this doesn't work, try soaking the coin in olive oil for about a month, yes a month, and then try the brush again. Over time, the olive oil will work to break down and loosen the green corrosion, then the toothbrush will take most or all of it right off. Just be VERY gentle with it! Nice find!!!!!

Great find DIA , I would be carefull cleaning it. It may not have much monetary value, but in your collection with bragging rights it's priceless. HH

Nice find!

Anything that old is valueable! ;)

When you get it as clean as you can, post a new pic for us to see if you can :)

Rod

Thanks all. I'll try the dishwashing soap & olive oil thing and let you know in about a month or so if it comes clean. I'm going back to that park today to see if I can find some more oldies.
HH
diggin-it-all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back