All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Are these good indicators in finding gold and why would you say that
Lots of quartz and pyrite(think it is ) in some rocks
tress3.JPGtres2.JPGtres1.jpgtres.jpg
From the southern coastal parts of South Africa

Upvote 0
Hi Terry, why would you say that ?
Give a man a fish a day and he will live for a day but teach him how to fish and he will live forever
Did you get my e-mail i sent to you terry?

Upvote 0
Why i am asking Terry is because this is the very first and only rock a chopped open
You say good indicators but can i be so lucky?

Upvote 0
I say yes as well, AS long as gold has been found in the immediate area in the past.

The reason I say yes is in the first picture it appears to be mineralised quartz, gold is often found in such quartz, in your second picture as well as also in the first picture it appears to be quartz and country rock with pyrite in the contact zones of the quartz and country rock, gold is found most often in the contact zone of country rock and quartz, gold is also often found in pyrite, the third picture I can't make out anything that would catch my attention, but it may if I saw it in person.

The term "country rock" is not any particular kind of rock, it is a term referring to the most common bedrock in an area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can crush it down to a powder then you can pan it out and see how much gold content it has and yes it does look good for gold.

Upvote 0
I once found a big rock that had lots of was fools gold pyrite. bummer indeed. dont know how things are over in South Africa though. Let us know if you find any gold.. The only gold small nugget I ever found was in British Columbia in the Fraser Valley on the northern part of Pitt Lake. I wasnt even there looking for gold or metal detecting either, seems too happen when u least expect it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi AU SEEKER
140km west from my farm ( Knysna district , Millwood gold field gold rush 1876) was one of South Africa's first gold rushes (there they found good gold) and the other was in Loerie about 40km east of the farm but there they found only small amounts. The gold rush ended in the Knysna district overnight when large amounts was found in Johannesburg and then everybody went there.

Upvote 0
Why i am asking Terry is because this is the very first and only rock a chopped open
You say good indicators but can i be so lucky?

I did not get an email, but if you are in a known goldfield with quartz and shale, you should be sampling and detecting. Do your research, and read up on goldpanning and sampling.

Upvote 0
Quartz with the appearance of rust stains is another good indicator.
Your quartz looks like it fits the bill. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back