For the bullet guys

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1880.JPGDSCN1879.JPGDSCN1877.JPGFound a few bullets and casings lately and was curious about any info that you guys might provide. The first one is 1.872" long, .565" at the base and .507" where it's necked down. This is a CenterFire.
View attachment 1019692
The next one is .956" long and .570" wide. I found the whole bullet and a case and an unfired bullet. The little guy in this picture is.538" long, (just the case) and.297" thick. These are both RimFires

View attachment 1019693

The last one is just a weird casing that I hadn't seen before, it's .820" long and .451" thick, notice the different hump where the primer would be but it appears to be a RimFire.View attachment 1019695

Thanks for looking and for any info.

Last edited:
I think the last casing is a Henry. The Henry rifle had a double firing pin that struck each side of the shell. Looks like this one was either reloaded or did not go off and was rotated and fired again. I am sure one of the more knowledgeable members here will either confirm or refute my information. And, they will help with the other bullets.

Upvote 0
First photo:
Although most of your other cartridges & casings are civil war era, this one, being "necked" and centerfire, is from no earlier than 10 years after the civil war ended in 1865. You do not mention it having a "headstamp" marking on its flat base, so I assume it is blank. Being a necked and unmarked centerfire, dug in America, indicates it is from the 1880s. I cannot find an exact match for one with the size-measurements you listed. It closely resembles a poswar .577 Snider-Enfield casing, but your measurements do not match up with .577-caliber.

Second photo:
The large ones are civil war era .52 Spencer Rifle/Carbine cartridges & bullets. The small one, which you say is .297" in diameter, is not in any of the civil war bullet books, so I suspect it is a slightly postwar rimfire cartridge.

Third photo:
It is a fired .44 Henry Rifle casing, manufactured during the civil war era and a few years after. As Fyrfytr1 mentioned, the Henry Rifle had a "double" firing-pin, with two flanges spaced 180-degreees apart. The fact that there are six strike-marks on your fired casing's base mean that the first and second times it was loaded and the trigger got pulled, it was a misfire. The shooter unloaded it and repositioned it in the Henry's chamber, giving it a second and third chance. On the third try, it worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do appreciate the information and you are correct about longer cartridge not having a Headstamp.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back