Foot Valve help please

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking at the things that could potentially slow me down this season and one of the issues I've run into is the foot valve screen either becoming clogged with leaves or it sliding off its rock and sucking sand which not only slows water but could damage my pump.
I need good ideas to protect my foot valve. I was thinking of a bucket with holes cut in it but sometimes I run where the water level is pretty low so I'm not sure a bucket is the best idea. I've tried sticking it between 2 classifiers which seems to do ok but wether it's current or me bumping the dredge but the foot valve always seems to come out.
Any input would be wonderful and appreciated

Dig a hole for the valve. Also take some thin wire mesh and put you a pre-filter (think something like a ball) around your valve.

I take a Home Depot bucket with a lid, use a hole saw to cut a hole in the lid for the hose, cut holes all around the bucket and cover with screen, and then either tie or bungie to the side of the dredge off the bottom.

yep i agree with all of these comments, BUT if your in a area that has that many leafs you need to move your foot valve out a little further into the stream. ive used the 5 gallon bucket idea before and it worked fine,just remember to put a rock in the bucket to hold it down! but it to could become blocked by leafs, so check it every now and again.

Thank you, I like the bungee it to the dredge idea. I'll try it
Since were at it any idea how to stretch the inside diameter of the hose out a little?
When I put my suction hose and foot valve onto the pump they are very very hard to pull off.

Chicken wire ball works fine. Wrap and shape around a round object like a volleyball and crush into a round shape,simply remove and then use a hose clamp to hold in place after encapusulation of footvalve and good to go. Keeps it off the bottom so no sand and keeps the leaves out. CAUTION as newer footvalves have a HUGE screen on them that allows gravels into the pump that destroys it in a short time. That 3/8" square holes is insanity-unless you sell new pumps and jets that is. In days of old we engineered all things to last as long as possible---NOW-opposite as how can I make it destroy itself asap to hype more biz sic sic sic-John

to expand the hose youll need to put the end into boiling water or heat them for awhile and then slip/pound/yell at it on to the device! and if your wanting to install it onto any alum coupling/camlock just put the metal part into a freezer for 10 mins and itll shrink then quickly put them together!

The stream I dredge is quite small/shallow at first, so getting a good foot valve spot can be challenging. I usually try to find a spot next to the dredge (4 inch) that I can pry out some larger rocks and dig a hole. I fan the spot with my hand to remove sands and get the foot valve placed with a large rock over the hose at the foot valve. I fire up the dredge and then I can actually dredge the spot out further. I usually place an extra gold pan under the foot valve, so it is not just setting on the gravels/sand if I need to. Again placing a large rock on the hose right above the foot valve. The dredge must be somewhat secure and I do so with some tie offs....(a 2 1/2 lead belt weight on the end of some mule tape)....that way I can find a means to secure it between rocks, or throw it over a limb etc.

I have never wore out or damaged the impellers of my pumps.

Bejay

image.jpg
Thanks to all who have given input.
With a little thought I came up with this...
It's a plastic pool drain cover that's fixed to a PVC reducer.
I put fine mesh chicken wire inside of it as well

Still going to have to keep it off the bottom. Looks good, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back