Fluting Nipple or Graver

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I found this nice blade a few years back. It’s always puzzled me as to what the little nipple is for on the one end. Creek find and was a beautiful red and green when I first found it. I tried some wet shots then some dry ones to help see the details. Let me know what you think on it. It’s thin but pictures didn’t come out clear. Thanks
Going to do some painting (my favorite, not!!) I will check back later.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpeg
    IMG_1988.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1984.jpeg
    IMG_1984.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 13
The only thing I can think of is a graver. I have been reading lots of information on lithic tools but have not come across another tool name for what appears to me as a graver. I have read that on early/paleo. scrapers, a "horn" or some type "sticky-outie" was common.
That is a petty blade.

vfm

I found this nice blade a few years back. It’s always puzzled me as to what the little nipple is for on the one end. Creek find and was a beautiful red and green when I first found it. I tried some wet shots then some dry ones to help see the details. Let me know what you think on it. It’s thin but pictures didn’t come out clear. Thanks
Going to do some painting (my favorite, not!!) I will check back later.
I’d have to say it’s a graver spur.

I agree its some sort of graver tool. I have found a few relics with these on them.

I envision these graver tools to be used potentially on slate or bone where lines or hatch marks are found. Maybe. They could be used for many different types of things. Even putting holes into worked hides.
I would think a smaller graver like this would be safer and easier to use than larger drill form.

It might even be something they used for making pottery. I’ve found all periods in that creek so no telling what age it is. Thanks for the replies everyone

I think those types of tools started out as something else, then repurposed when broken or worn out.
I haven’t found but that one in a blade form. I do have another I found on the same bar that used to be a point but now has a wonky tip like a graver it’s quite ugly but if I can find it I will share it sometime this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back