Florida Flake knife

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2nd pic shows it on edge and you can see the very fine secondary flaking on the edge. Made from rare black Florida chert.
20231022_112848.jpg
20231022_112923.jpg

Upvote 10
The black with tan cortex could be Knox chert. That’s what I find here. Idk if you remember Gatorboy but he found a greenstone Celt in Florida that was from my section of Georgia. Could of very well been traded to your area. The local river here (Etowah) flows from here to Alabama then from Alabama to Florida. Native American highway system

Nice knife. I see flake knives here too, but of course the chert is a bit different. We have dirty chocolate chert here!
Not as pretty as yours! Some are made so they can be hafted, others, for hand work like yours.

vfm

2nd pic shows it on edge and you can see the very fine secondary flaking on the edge. Made from rare black Florida chert.
Don’t your FL artifacts that come from rivers turn black? Could that be black organic stain? I’ve never seen black flint from FL. Maybe put it in vinegar and see if the black comes off??

Don’t your FL artifacts that come from rivers turn black? Could that be black organic stain? I’ve never seen black flint from FL. Maybe put it in vinegar and see if the black comes off??
Yes, points from Florida rivers can be stained in many shades of brown, tan, black, even a blueish stain from the St.
20210525_150631.jpg
image.jpg
John's. This knife is not stained but a black material. I know a fossil collector who has found 4 beautiful black points on his land, all some kind of shiny black material. Here are 2 of them he sent me pics of.

Yes, points from Florida rivers can be stained in many shades of brown, tan, black, even a blueish stain from the St.View attachment 2112516View attachment 2112518 John's. This knife is not stained but a black material. I know a fossil collector who has found 4 beautiful black points on his land, all some kind of shiny black material. Here are 2 of them he sent me pics of.
Both beautiful pieces

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back