Flohmarkt Silver

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the local flea market (flohmarkt) here in Stuttgart, Germany and was surprised. I guess I was surprised at my ignorance at what I saw. I half expected to see poor, old women there mindlessly rocking to and fro with a tear in their eye at the prospect for having to part with Oma's silver horde from the great war.

Instead, I found two things; either there were people selling silver jewelry for the price of silver plus an artistic mark-up or there were people selling junk silver for a tidy profit over spot. They either would not budge on the price or they were trying to take advantage of my non-native speaking tongue. I do pretty good with German, so I believe it was a combo of both. The only thing promising I found was a guy with a box full (perhaps 20-25) silver spoons mostly marked 800 with a couple 900 and 925. They were marked 9 Euro each, which is about 12.30 USD. I tried to 'feel' some of the heavier spoons but figured even they weren't very close to an oz anyway (I had my loupe and not my scale in my pocket - shame on me!) I think if I at least had my scale, I could have talked him into a bulk (slight bargain for me, perhaps?) price for the whole box.

What do you all think about these trash spoons? What do they typically weigh in at, approximately? (I cant believe I just spelled 'approximately' correctly (not the second time!), but not 'believe!' lol)

Re: Flohmarkt

Many, snake35!

One guy had four tables full of his knife collection. it consisted of what appeared to be about 50+years of knifes; the seller looked like he was in his 70s. His tables were by far one of the more visited. Folks were swarming his tables, checking out all his blades.

Another table had about a dozen Damascus style blades - even a straight razor for shaving!

Re: Flohmarkt

how bout marbles???vintage german chinas and swirls sell good....even machine mades that are purty are big sellers...any old marble prints and postcards with german language on em are good...look for old marble packaging ,too...theres are big region over there that was big on glass and marble production...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back