1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
Solution
The hammer is of the 'double-neck' type used by the French, rather than the 'gooseneck' style used by the British. French and French style muskets would have been uncommon in Virginia before 1777, but after that became the type most used by American forces during the revolution. Double-necked hammers were also used on US -produced military muskets from 1795 until the end of production about 1841.
Dug this ~ 3 years ago near Richmond va. It is missing the top jaw, but otherwise seems to be in pretty decent shape. Any insight into maker/origin/date would be greatly appreciated.
It's a flintlock In the first pic you have the frizzen on the bottom. Great find!!

Upvote 1
The hammer is of the 'double-neck' type used by the French, rather than the 'gooseneck' style used by the British. French and French style muskets would have been uncommon in Virginia before 1777, but after that became the type most used by American forces during the revolution. Double-necked hammers were also used on US -produced military muskets from 1795 until the end of production about 1841.

Upvote 6
Solution
Thank you very much for the insight. You may be more correct than you know….i am in the middle of one of the original Huguenot settlements (churches dating to the mid/late 1600s). French actually makes sense for here.

Upvote 3
The hammer is of the 'double-neck' type used by the French, rather than the 'gooseneck' style used by the British. French and French style muskets would have been uncommon in Virginia before 1777, but after that became the type most used by American forces during the revolution. Double-necked hammers were also used on US -produced military muskets from 1795 until the end of production about

Thank you very much for the insight. You may be more correct than you know….i am in the middle of one of the original Huguenot settlements (churches dating to the mid/late 1600s). French actually makes sense for here.
For additional info, it was found in what I think was a blacksmith shop. So assuming this was cast aside as a transition to percussion cap

Upvote 4
Respectfully folks... The lock pictured appears to be a Doglock.
Look closely in the first picture with the vertical tape measure with it's end at the rear of the hammer, for the pivoting dog/ hook..

Doglocks predated flintlocks which predated percussion.
(Dog lock is a flintlock but before common flintlocks..)

Don't hold me to it , but a doglock in the early to mid 1600's would fit just right in a crowd back then. And fits the context of the recovery site very well.

Upvote 3
Look closely in the first picture with the vertical tape measure with it's end at the rear of the hammer, for the pivoting dog/ hook..

Don't hold me to it , but a doglock in the early to mid 1600's would fit just right in a crowd back then. And fits the context of the recovery site very well.

Thank you for the input. This area has settlements dating to mid 1600s, so not out of realm of possibility.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back