Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning everyone. Nothing as exciting as a buried strong box, but here is a pic of my musket flint lock after electrolysis. Was told it came off of a trade gun, a cheaper musket colonials traded the Indians. Hopefully we can return to the site where I found it and possibly find more pieces! Thanks for looking and have a great day.

ForumRunner_20130730_100042.png

ForumRunner_20130730_100102.png

Upvote 5
That's pretty cool.. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to further finds..

I use electrolysis quite a bit. It works really well.

Thanks! This piece I let soak for five days and it came out clean without having to use a brush or any other cleaning method. I am amazed how cool some of these iron finds turn out...makes me want to go back and dig all those other iron signals we passed over!

outstanding.gif
Outstanding find - that puppy would already be displayed on my wall Darby.
killingme.gif
Thanks for sharing...

Nothing as exciting as a buried strong box

8-)

Great find :icon_thumleft:,

I wish the Shotgun we found had the Percussion hammers on it; they just left the barrel.

I would love to find a barrel too! So far we've found two pieces in that general area that came from a musket and plan to go back and dig some more iron signals...hopefully we'll dig more than just nails! Thanks and enjoyed your posts on the strong box, Kono.

Thanks vpnavy! I had no idea it came off a musket just knew it was an odd looking piece of rusty iron...glad I saved it and lucky to have Jim with the SCIAA to id it for me.

What type of electrolysis setup do you use? 12v converter plugged into the wall outlet or a battery? I didn't know you could have something in electrolysis for 5 days. I will have to try that sometime. Yours turned out great!

I would love to find a barrel too! So far we've found two pieces in that general area that came from a musket and plan to go back and dig some more iron signals...hopefully we'll dig more than just nails! Thanks and enjoyed your posts on the strong box, Kono.

Hey you never know, you could find an arms dump! :happysmiley:

Great job on the electrolysis.

Good luck!

What type of electrolysis setup do you use? 12v converter plugged into the wall outlet or a battery? I didn't know you could have something in electrolysis for 5 days. I will have to try that sometime. Yours turned out great!

Thanks. I use a battery charger, a 5 gallon bucket and a stainless steal tray. Positive lead on the tray (the end sticking out of bucket) negative on piece being cleaned. About a tablespoon of baking soda per gallon of water. Works great so far. Thanks and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back