Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this flat button at a cellar hole. I don't have the diameter at the moment but will post when I get home. Any help with ID is appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132229.420458.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132241.903299.jpg

nice looking old/interesting button !
A quick look through Tice`s book Uniform Buttons of the U.S. nothing shows up in the Navy or Marine buttons....i`ll keep looking.
Gary

Upvote 0
Am I seeing a liberty cap on the pole that crosses the anchor?
It is interesting, and look forward to seeing it cleaned up a bit. I think there may be text around the edge, but may be wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's a Liberty cap but that was my first thought too. That's also reason I haven't cleaned it yet.

Upvote 0
Cool button. Looks like it will clean up great. I doubt it's American.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow - that's a very unique button. Cap sunburst - possibly early 19thC Mexican Naval Button??

The timeframe sounds right. Seems all other finds are from that timeframe too. What makes you say Mexican?

Upvote 0
The Liberty Cap and Sunburst are symbols of the Republic of Mexico seen in the 19thC coinage. Samr may also be said about symbols of French Republic in late 18thC - and, possible that it could be a French Naval Button. French did fight and support US Continental Army in RI during the Revolutionary War. I have not found a reference to French Naval Buttons of that period.

Attachments

• mexico coin.jpg
    mexico coin.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Liberty Cap and Sunburst are symbols of the Republic of Mexico seen in the 19thC coinage. Samr may also be said about symbols of French Republic in late 18thC - and, possible that it could be a French Naval Button. French did fight and support US Continental Army in RI during the Revolutionary War. I have not found a reference to French Naval Buttons of that period.

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
I hope you don't mind but I edited your photos a little. Maybe they will help get your button IDed.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132229.420458.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132229.420458.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 92
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132241.903299.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450132241.903299.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Best I can tell, the back says "Standard Treble." Looks like a couple other letters in there, but can't quite make them out.

Upvote 0
I think there's just enough room remaining for the word GILT, usually found with the others. So it originally had a thin gold coating... Or three (treble) coats, but anyway a gold finish.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what it is, but Congratz on a great looking button! I hope you figure it out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back