Flat button but what age?

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Cortes, Explorer II, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today at a site known to b in the mid 1800s. My friend found an 1854 caped dime there. I wonder if this button could b civil war vintage. I can't make out the second letter on the back but the rest seem to be C?LT. Any idea? Thanks.
2b0505716c64772964f15db2fb60d1e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a raised-lettering backmark date from about 1790 into the early-1840s. Ones with an indented-lettering backmark start a bit later, about 1810. I can't quite be certain from viewing your photo of your button, but it appears to have indented lettering. By the way, the word on it is "GILT"... which means it was gold-plated.

I should mention:
Very few brass 1-piece flatbuttons were manufactured after the late-1830s, due to the invention of machinery which could CHEAPLY mass-produce "ornate" 2-piece buttons. People liked the fancy 2-piece designs a lot better, of course, and that type becoming "affordable" caused manufacture of the 1-piece buttons to quickly dwindle away.

Upvote 0
Well I thank you very much, you have made my day and i appreciate the good information. Have a great day.

Upvote 0
BTW I am new (kinda) here. How do I flag this as salved? Thanks

P.S. the letters are counter sunk.

Upvote 0
Up top, below the Sword on Banner Finds you will see "thread tools" - click on that then click on "mark as solved"

Upvote 0
Brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a raised-lettering backmark date from about 1790 into the early-1840s. Ones with an indented-lettering backmark start a bit later, about 1810. I can't quite be certain from viewing your photo of your button, but it appears to have indented lettering. By the way, the word on it is "GILT"... which means it was gold-plated.

I should mention:
Very few brass 1-piece flatbuttons were manufactured after the late-1830s, due to the invention of machinery which could CHEAPLY mass-produce "ornate" 2-piece buttons. People liked the fancy 2-piece designs a lot better, of course, and that type becoming "affordable" caused manufacture of the 1-piece buttons to quickly dwindle away.
He nailed it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back