Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, I was helping someone remodel the attic of an old home, and upon ripping up the floorboards, this stuff was found.

I know the rings are rein guides, and the bar is a bridle bit, but the buckle's use and the hook's purpose elude me.

20150313_012623.jpg

I have found sooooo many flat brass buttons in the dirt that you would think I'd know them to look at them, but are these as old as the ones from the dirt? Never seen 'em so shiny before. No backmarks, but the shine is intact and the loops look like the loops from the dirt.
If they're authentic they should date to about 1830, which would be...insane.

20150313_012722.jpg

Finally, found these buttons. These feel like plastic or Bakelite rather than brass but they may be brass-coated. Can't really see the emblem too well.

20150313_012801.jpg

Thanks for any input.

I would guess the guides are from a harness as is the harness hook...m0yz4qne__x8FHi87nK1wJQ.jpg..Christine 7.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah, I recognized the rein guides as I've dug some before. Never seen the hook before, though, so thanks! Any ideas on the buttons?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking those rings are from a "Pack Saddle".
I've never seen those hooks on the hames before, that's pretty cool.

Upvote 0
That's how I would expect a button or buttons to look if found hidden away under floor boards inside an old house. Totally different environment that held them all these years.

Upvote 0
That's how I would expect a button or buttons to look if found hidden away under floor boards inside an old house. Totally different environment that held them all these years.

I guess that's true, I never thought of it that way. I'm just so used to seeing how they come out of the dirt that to see them so shiny was confusing at first. Great find for me, then :)

Any ideas on the other buttons with the emblem? I think they are some type of plastic.

Upvote 0
Probably your basic blazer button (non military). I doubt they are as old as 1830 though, more like 1890-1930 time period. Here is a link to a similar one but Yours maybe from a Netherlands style coat of arms and not French as this ebay link shows.

VINTAGE French Coat Of Arms JACKET METAL BUTTON SET 12 Pcs | eBay

Thanks for the link! I didn't think the plastic ones were that old, just the flat brass ones I found with them. Cool to know that the plastic ones could be late 19th c. Never would have thought that.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back