Fishing weights?

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
These were found among the collection of my grandfather, who gathered treasures - mostly rock & gems - all over the Pacific Northwest from the 1930's through the 1990's. He also had some things from his childhood in Sioux Falls, including one fishing weight that he clearly labeled as being from the Sioux river. These pieces were in another part of his collection, and they are not labeled. One looks more like a pestle than a weight, but I know very little of these sorts of artifacts. Very grateful for any thoughts or input.

IMG_1985.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_1987.jpgIMG_1988.jpgIMG_1989.jpgIMG_1990.jpgIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1993.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't think any of those are fishing weights. Seems like a lot of work to grind a stone into those shapes and then throw it in the river. Any rock would work.
I may be wrong but I believe they had some other purpose. Thanks for sharing. The experts will chime in.

they all look like pestles to me, and they also look like Columbia River artifacts.

Very nice pestles.

You mentioned "another part of his collection" - what other treasures did your grandfather collect?

Very nice pestles.

You mentioned "another part of his collection" - what other treasures did your grandfather collect?

Yes, his things are spread over many boxes in a few households. He was primarily a rockhound, with Oregon as his home base. I’d say a good 90% f his finds are from the Pacific Northwest. Almost all rocks, minerals, crystals and gems. Some natural coral and shells. A few fossils and copralites.

He also had a few pieces of southwestern jewelry...turquoise/silver mostly.

The only native artifacts I’ve come across so far are these pieces, the other piece I mentioned above that was labeled “Native American Fishing Net Weight found by Sioux River, 1926” (i’ll attach a pic of that one to this comment), and a series of very tiny chips of obsidian that he had labeled as being Native American knife blades. These obsidian pieces are tiny - around 1cm or less each. There around 8-10 of them. When I came across them, I thought it was a stretch to call them knife blades - but I’m far from knowledgeable about these things.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586629763.795168.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586629806.923790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586629833.497268.jpg

if that grove is only on one side, it is a tool to abrade arrow shafts.

Those very well could be flake knives. They probably have use wear on one edge or more if he collected them. A simple artifact,but an artifact

you bet...bladelets...think of them as razor blades.

where are his projectile points? with what you have shown us already he MUST have had a lot of good PNW points too. Those points could help narrow it down as to where he was finding things.

ask around to people who may have known more.

no, it still could be...i have one on both sides.

well the groove on the end means it is not for shafts for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back